News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

scarebird adapters

Started by jseth83, 2014-12-26 09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Awesome, congrats on the job. The intriguing part is about pedal pressure. I would have thought it would have been more. Vacuum assist nightmares over? Your opinion on a scale of 1 to 10? ( I know it is to soon to tell...)  :003:
Lynn

ROKuberski

It is too soon to make a final assessment, but I am quite pleased with the way things are working.  Previously, brakes were okay, but if you hit them hard, the car would pull to the right and I could never get that corrected.  New shoes, drums in good condition, just could not solve it.  Also, I had high pedal effort, at least it seamed that way to me.  I also had problems with mountain driving.  Coming down a mountain road, I would have brake fade in just a few miles.  Now, all should be just fine.

For anyone wanting to do the upgrade, I would really recommend getting a master cylinder like I got.  It's a perfect fit and works great. 

Another thing was that I had trouble removing and installing the rear tires.  The Granada wheels are 1" wider than the stock Fairlane (5")wheels.  There is not enough clearance between the wheel well and the drum to clear the tires I have.  I have R205-75-14's that came from Diamondback Radials.  I put a bottle jack between the axel and the frame and pushed the axel down about an inch to get them on.  I am going to buy a cheap bottle jack to keep in the trunk just in case.

Rich

ROKuberski

One of the guys I told you I was checking with is a former research engineer for Ford.

I asked him about the issue of having the master cylinder connected the reverse of what I have.  Here is that email exchange.

---------------------------------
Rich:

The fluid level is the big difference as normally the Master Cylinder will not have differential pressures internally, it becomes another failure point for the hydraulics There are always exceptions). Valving takes place after the Master Cylinder pistons to reduce pressure as needed.  I suspect the reversal on other 57?s is due to space or fitment constraints that may be made easier by reversing the reservoir.  You could always rig it with hydraulic pressure transducers to watch for peak, ramp and oscillation of the fluid if you needed a few weeks? worth of entertainment then write the definitive 57 brake conversion guide.

Jon
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jon,

I installed a new master cylinder yesterday and the new brake system works great.  I do have a proportioning valve installed, but currently have it set so that it is doing nothing.  With a m/c for a car that had disk/drum brakes, I don?t think I need it.  I also omitted the external residual pressure valve for the rear brakes, I did confirm that the m/c has one installed.

I have been posting information on the ?57 Ford website and several guys have noted that they have the large chamber on the m/c piped to the rear brakes.  Apart from the extra fluid available in the reservoir, does this make any difference?  Is the secondary piston delivering sufficient fluid for the caliper to work? 

Rich

RICH MUISE

Well, his reply went right over my head quickly...but I had obviously mispoke anyway based on the other replies. I went back looking for the thread that got me thinking the way I was. I think it is the fact that on the single reservoir Mustang hydroboost master, the front outlet is for the front brakes and is larger than the back outlet for the rear brakes. The Mustang rear brakes I believe are discs as well.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

This has been a long process, but, for me, successful as well as a learning experience.

I attached a couple of photos of the install on my master cylinder.  Since I took the pictures, I removed the proportioning valve.  I paid a little over $50 for it.  If anyone wants it, I will take $35 for it.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Rich

VwDrvFnd

So let me get this straight in summery.

This Brake Kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Marauder-Cyclone-Ford-Galaxie-Ranchero-Wilwood-Front-Dynalite-Brake-Kit-/131833479905?hash=item1eb1e342e1:g:i6EAAOSw0vBUbktM
will bolt straight up to stock 1957 Ford Spindles and require a 15" Steel wheel instead of a 14". Is that correct? Also this kit will require a different brake line/fitting to work with the original 57 Ford Lines? Part manufacturer/number? Also this kit will work with out a booster but will require a dual master is this correct? Part manufacturer/number?

Thanks in advance!
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

lalessi1

I just put this kit on my car. I have 15" wheels, I believe I have a 14" Ford wheel that will work but I have not tried it. The stock rigid steel lines will work but I used braided steel flex hoses to replace the rubber hoses. I also used a '67 dual master cylinder from a Galaxie.

Hoses I bought from this guy, great service, custom hoses
http://www.ebay.com/usr/goodbrakes?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
The master cylinder came from Rock Auto PN  MC36225, it is for a 67 Galaxie, disc/drum car, no power booster.
I love this kit, the brakes work great.
I bought my kit from this vendor on eBay and he will furnish the hoses as well.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/kratter?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
Lynn

VwDrvFnd

Thank You very much for the wonderful clarification!
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?