News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

scarebird adapters

Started by jseth83, 2014-12-26 09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-01-03 09:19
Rich, have you tried hooking the vacuum supply directly to the manifold? The vacuum through the fuel pump which is for the windshield wipers doesn't seem like it would supply enough volume to me, just a thought..

I have the Granada discs, non power, and it stops like a charm..

To answer your question, yes, I did try the boost unit both ways.  I gain about 4" of vacuum when I measure it off of the fuel pump.  There may be less volume off of the fuel pump, but for at least the first hit on the brakes, you would have the full volume.  I did splice in a tee to measure the vacuum while applying the brakes and there is a brief reduction of vacuum but it recovers quickly. 

If I can find the right combination of parts, it should make a big difference in stopping power. 

My inclination is to get the scarebird brackets - that will allow me to keep all the original suspension components.  Then add the Granada disks (if I can find bearings that will mount it on the stock spindle) and wheels.  Not sure what caliper I will use, it would have to fit the scarebird brackets.  I've called just about every salvage yard in the Denver area and cannot come with Granada wheels.  I did find a website selling steel wheels that are supposed to fit the Granada, but I would want to confirm that I could still mount the stock wheel covers.  (link was included in previous post.)

It's getting to be a pricy project.

hiball3985

Those Granada wheels must be a highly collectable item  :003: I gave up trying to find just one for a spare.....

Have been able to lock up both front and rear brakes even with the higher pedal pressure?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

I went to the Rockauto website where they give some detail information on bearing sizes.  I was able to confirm that the 57 Fairlane and the 69 Mustang both use the same bore sizes for inner (1.25") and outer (.75") wheel bearing.

That jives with what the guy told me at scarebird.  So, parts are not a problem.  For me, I would like to find some used wheels, but if not, I guess I can buy new one's.  Check my attachment for the project budget.

Rich

jseth83

Thanks Rich.  Where did you get the prices for the Mustang rotors?  I was thinking the cost was about 3x that....
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

ROKuberski

All of the prices were from the Rockauto site.  You can spend more, but my car is not a hotrod, OEM quality will be fine for me.

Rich

rmk57

I wouldn't skimp on wheel bearings. I've heard not so good results from the Chinese junk around these days, get the Timkens.
Also if you use 1970-73 Mustang or 1970-71 Torino they use a different wheel bearing than the 69. The spindle pin is a little
thicker on the later ones. The rotor races, o.d. are the same just the i.d. changes.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

jseth83

Thanks a bunch Rich!  Those prices are a lot better than the first quote I had locally.  I'm probably going to use them for several things in the future.
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: rmk57 on 2015-01-03 19:39
I wouldn't skimp on wheel bearings. I've heard not so good results from the Chinese junk around these days, get the Timkens.
Also if you use 1970-73 Mustang or 1970-71 Torino they use a different wheel bearing than the 69. The spindle pin is a little
thicker on the later ones. The rotor races, o.d. are the same just the i.d. changes.

Randy
Recently a friend informed me that the last Timken bearings he bought were made in China and he was pissed...
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

The bearing I.D. is what's important if you are going to use the scarebird bracket.  Then you will be using the stock spindle and you will need to match things up.  Since the 68-69 Mustang rotor wheel bearings are the same I.D and same 5 bolt pattern, it seems a natural for this project.  I just wish I could find good used Granada wheels for a decent price. 

I bought front wheel and rear axel bearings from Rockauto last year and they were all U.S. made, just lucky I guess.  However, I would hope that Timkin would be producing bearings to the same specifications regardless of where they were manufactured. 

I've bought stuff from Rockauto for years.  Last year, they sent me an email and asked for a picture of my car.  They sent back a pile of business card size magnets with the picture of my car on it and their logo.  Knowing that I would give most of them to my friends, which I did.  If they have what you want, it's probably at a decent price.

Rich

hiball3985

Hopefully the bearings are made to the same standard. For me it's just a sign of more US jobs being lost to cheap labor. Sorry I'll put my political soapbox away  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I use Rockauto alot...sometimes pricing is 1/2 for the same brand. Earlier this year I got 2 Bosche O2 sensors for the 4.6, got them delivered for less that 1/2 what Auto Zone and the other locals wanted for the same brand/same pn.
Rich..I have those magnets all over my refrigerator...unfortunatly I don't have yours. BTW, I may be up in Denver for the swap meet next month...we'll see how the weather is.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Rich,

I assume you are talking about the Tristate swap meet. http://www.tristateswapmeet.com/  Maybe we can hook up if it works out for us.  I have at least two magnets left over, you can have one for sure.  I've never been to the Tristate swap meet.  I've never found anything of significance  for one of my projects at a swap meet.  I usually get my parts online, either from one of the major suppliers or eBay.  There is also a guy in Denver, near where the swap meet is held that has a business dealing with NOS and used parts.  Sam's Vintage Ford Parts.  http://samsvintagefordparts.com/page1.php  He is running a store that his dad started and he does have quite a bit of stuff.   He helped me out several times.

Right now, the weather is a little less than perfect.  This morning my wife and I went out for breakfast and it was +5 with partly cloudy skies.  We had about 2" of snow overnight.  However, we are on a trend back to average temps.  That should help.  Also, the roads are clear and dry.  The road crews are on top of things for now.

lalessi1

Lynn

ROKuberski

This looks like a nice kit.  The text says "Intended vehicle applications require no modifications for installation, and clear most 14" OEM wheels."  I just sent them an email asking if they can confirm that it will fit over the '57 Fairlane wheels.  I'll let you know what I hear.

I looked for an off eBay website, but could not find one.  For the scarebird kit, they sell it direct for $30 less than they do on eBay.

I just found their off eBay website.  Text is the same, price is higher.  http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitListFront.aspx?mincatdesc=Classic%20Series%20Front%20Dynalite%20Brake%20Kit

Rich

ROKuberski

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-01-04 11:06
Hopefully the bearings are made to the same standard. For me it's just a sign of more US jobs being lost to cheap labor. Sorry I'll put my political soapbox away  :003:

It's a good soap box.  I too feel that way.  A year or two ago, someone sent me an email listing all the things still being made in the US.  It was an impressive list.  Your consumer electronics, clothes and lots of other lower tech items are gone mostly forever.  They also went on to say that things will change and some jobs will come back for various reasons.  They gave an example of Jap cars.  Many of their nameplates are US made now.  (For all I know, you can buy a US made Jap car in Japan.)    Granted some parts come from outside of the US, but the same applies to the traditional US brands too.

I try to keep my politics out of discussions with strangers and many friends, but like most of you, it's not all that hard to raise my blood pressure on various issues. 

Nuff said!

Rich