News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

dual master for drum brakes

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2015-01-11 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

here are some pictures on how i solved my wiper motor clearance issue.i have about .050 to .060 in clearance[see feeler gauge]still need to work on the cables.

RICH MUISE

I see the added bracket on the ww motor, not sure what it's doing. It looks like you ground a flat on the canister surround. Have you looked into the pushrod for the boost yet?
I removed the wiper stuff so long ago I don't remember much about it...mine's just welded shut now along with everything else.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-01-18 18:25
I see the added bracket on the ww motor, not sure what it's doing. It looks like you ground a flat on the canister surround. Have you looked into the pushrod for the boost yet?
I removed the wiper stuff so long ago I don't remember much about it...mine's just welded shut now along with everything else.
i am going to weld a extension on the brake pedal to line up to the push rod

canadian_ranchero

here is a picture of the pedal

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-01-18 09:21
I don't know but I thought the electric pump was for backup on hydroboost systems?

No, it was the source of boost.  Had an issue with it, very hard and high brake pedal.  Took it in and got the estimate, $1200 for parts and labor.  Saw that they were "easter egging" it by replacing the reservoir, pump and the two relays and switches that controlled the pump.  Got into their books, found the connector and forced power, got the brakes back for about five stops.  Checked the power relay for the pump and found the contacts dirty (cut open the relay), cleaned them with a nail file and that relay was still in the car when it got sold.  Hardest part was finding the relay.  It was/is on the passenger side next to the hood hinge...go figure.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

That is really good to know. So I guess I am a little confused, when it was working right it had proper pedal feel? I like the idea of wiring over the idea of more hydraulic lines.

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2015-01-19 07:35
No, it was the source of boost.  Had an issue with it, very hard and high brake pedal.  Took it in and got the estimate, $1200 for parts and labor.  Saw that they were "easter egging" it by replacing the reservoir, pump and the two relays and switches that controlled the pump.  Got into their books, found the connector and forced power, got the brakes back for about five stops.  Checked the power relay for the pump and found the contacts dirty (cut open the relay), cleaned them with a nail file and that relay was still in the car when it got sold.  Hardest part was finding the relay.  It was/is on the passenger side next to the hood hinge...go figure.
Lynn

lalessi1

Now I am really confused...looked up "1990 Ford Thunderbird brake booster" on ebay.... they were all vacuum boosters. Was the electric hydroboost peculiar to the SC? I did see a large electric motor associated with the brakes but it was part of the ABS system. (I searched "1990 Ford Thunderbird brakes" for that.)
Lynn

RICH MUISE

It seems to me unless the electric motor was an intrigal part of the hydroboost, there would be just as much plumbing, so I'm assuming the unit Bill is talking about has the motor /boost as a single unit. Not sure what advantage there would be otherwise unless your car was not set up for power steering.??

Ford Blue blood

Ya, ebay is wrong as is Rock Auto.  The system used from 89 - 92 is no longer supported with replacement parts.  It was called "electro-boost" but is very reliable with the relays being the weak link.  I did a little google look and found very little info out there.  Did not go to the SC Club site.

Given the support issues I do not think I would use this system on a new build.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-01-19 08:35
It seems to me unless the electric motor was an intrigal part of the hydroboost, there would be just as much plumbing, so I'm assuming the unit Bill is talking about has the motor /boost as a single unit. Not sure what advantage there would be otherwise unless your car was not set up for power steering.??

Compact and no plumbing.  Just the unit and master cylinder.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

pepfalcon

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2015-01-19 00:43
[/quotgreat minds must think alike]. i did this very same thing to my brake pedal to solve the pushrod problem.

lalessi1

Since it seems I can't have "electro-boost".... I want it more now than ever!!! Lol

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2015-01-19 08:37
Ya, ebay is wrong as is Rock Auto.  The system used from 89 - 92 is no longer supported with replacement parts.  It was called "electro-boost" but is very reliable with the relays being the weak link.  I did a little google look and found very little info out there.  Did not go to the SC Club site.

Given the support issues I do not think I would use this system on a new build.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Quote from: pepfalcon on 2015-01-19 08:39
Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2015-01-19 00:43
[/quotgreat minds must think alike]. i did this very same thing to my brake pedal to solve the pushrod problem.
LOL...my mind wasn't so great...I did it the hard way.

gasman826

Wiper motor clearance...turn the hydraulic booster upside down.

canadian_ranchero

the other reason i did not modify the push rod was that if i needed to replace the hydro boost it would be a bolt in.