News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

wiper cable access

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2015-01-18 17:09

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

here is a picture of a screewed on panel on my cowl.has anyone removed it to work on the cables?

lalessi1

Yes sir, I removed mine to redo the cables. I needed every bit of the access available. I did mine by the hardest. It has been a couple of years since I did it so its the memory thing on trial. My first pass the cables were backwards. It was a real pain but rather simple after the fact. I took mine completely apart to understand how it worked. I wonder to this day how this was done on an assembly line. You need to note the pin in the tensioner assembly diagram in the Shop Manual and pin the tensioners in a preloaded position while you run the cables in the pulleys. An extra set of tiny little monkey hands will help.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

i see someone has put the wrong rh tenioner in mine.will need to go on a parts hunt.[more fun in the snow and cold]

lalessi1

Send the little tiny monkey hands... I did see a couple of NOS ones on ebay if you don't want to go out in the cold.
Lynn

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2015-01-18 17:09
here is a picture of a screewed on panel on my cowl.has anyone removed it to work on the cables?

I just did my wiper cables and I took that cover off and the rubber plugs out. The pin for the tensioners I used a 6 penny finish nail and bent a hook on the end and I was able to pull the pin easy to release the tensioner.

lalessi1

mtwilsonboy, good to hear you got 'er done. :003:
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Pull the left side air vent under the dash and you can see and access the drum the cables wrap around under the wiper motor.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-01-26 09:38
mtwilsonboy, good to hear you got 'er done. :003:

Yes, after I got the cables figured out it wasnt bad.