News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Swapp to a 300 CI I 6

Started by Raven Rider, 2015-01-22 17:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

I searched for this but only found one post.  Has anyone swapped to the 300 inline six before?  Is there enough room to get that long of a block in there?  I'm running a 302 but I "need" to do some thing different and since I have had 2 pickups and one car with the 300 six and I really like the motor why not put one in the ole girl?  The 300 six is a really strong motor with more torque than the 302 and it has 8 main bearing caps, if built right it will turn 7000 rpms for short runs.  My idea is a 300 six with 3 x 2 barrel carbs using a progressive linkage, cammed up a bit and dual exhaust it might sound really odd but it will be different!  Oh yea a racing chrome valve cover for extra speed. :burnout:

LAUDY57

300's were used for Marine use for a long time, strong engines, if you have a length I can compare it to the 223 in a car.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

Geofordman

What ? Nobodies interested in this swap? I am! How long is 300 six anyway?

Raven Rider

I haven't totally forgot about this I have just been looking at a 5.0 FI.  The only reference I have found for the lenth is 33.5 inches long.  I do not know if that was just the block or whatever was included.  I will let you know what I find out.

LAUDY57

This was in Petersons 1975 Engine Swapping mag.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

greaseball

So, it's an inch longer on top & bottom, and 4 inches narrower than the small series.
I've yet to measure this, will anyone tell me if that will fit?
I assume it will but... 

I'm planning on towing my camp trailer and considering fuel economy.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: greaseball on 2020-10-06 23:40
Anyone want to trade radiator supports? V8 for a 6-cyl? V8's are cooler.
I'm in northern California.

?  Radiator support is the same for 8s and 6s, radiator is different as it's mounts move the radiator further forward.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Keep the attitude for the Hamb........it doesn't fit well here. Bill was correct. Core supports are the same regardless of 6 or 8 engines, it's the flange position on the 6 or 8 radiator that determines it's forward position. Bill was trying to save you some time/work/money, trying to enlighten you (and others maybe reading your question) about something you apparently were not aware of, and you have a problem with that?
No response on your 300  6 cyl questions is more than likely due to no one having done it....doesn't mean we want to, or are mad we didn't. ??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

greaseball

Smiley faces sometimes help, but sometimes it's hard to correctly "read" attitude on message boards.
So the reason the '57 radiator's have a bolt location on both sides is because 6-cyl were on the other side of the core support?

I guess everyone does V8's... never thought about it.

Thanks guys, what a hobby!

RICH MUISE

:002:
No, the radiators bolted to the same location on the core support. There are several differences in the 6 cyl radiator vs the 8's, but what we are talking about is the location of the radiator's side mounting flanges. on the 6 cyl, the flange is a few (?) inches to the engine side of the radiator (compared to the 8's flange), which when mounted to the core support moves the core of the radiator further inside the core support(towards the front) giving a few more inches for the added length of the 6 cyl.
a 300 ci 6cyl with trips.....actually sounds like a neat setup. Keep us up to date if you proceed. As mentioned, you are probably going to have a hard time finding someone who's done it. My guess is you're more interested in what the performance is like rather than the mechanicals of getting it installed.
BTW, there is a way of getting an additional 1 1/4 or so forward positioning of the radiator if you need it. It's a pretty involved explanation, so I won't get into it unless needed.
Rich

lalessi1

Here is a pic of the 6 and 8 cyl side by side...

The 6 cyl one (on the left) has the flanges flush with the engine side of the radiator and the 8 cylinder has the flanges flush with the car front side. Note the differences in the inlet/outlet positions. I think the core thickness was different as well.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Clifford Research is a 4 & 6 cylinder guru.  If it has been done to a 4 or 6 Clifford was involved.  Check with them with respect to mods and parts to get where you want to go with this set up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Just remembered, if you need more room for the six you can section the radiator support with no changes to any of the stock geometry or sheet metal hanging alignment.  Look carefully at the side of the support you can see the weld bead running down the side.  Everything stayed exactly the same except the radiator is 3/4" further away from the engine.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

greaseball

Just e-mailed "Clifford Performance", *fingers crossed* they have some info for me-

My thinking is that the '80's & '90's Ford trucks had 302's & FE's, which bolted in (same as a '57), so a big 6 should be able to fit w/o too much craziness-
I was saddened to see that the '90's Ford trucks have (what looked like-) narrowed frame rails whereas the older trucks (I think?) have the longer motor-mounts. This is "theory" & not "fact", I haven't checked any '60's/'70's/'80's p/u's yet, just seems like I saw one once with long motor-mounts and no pinched frame rails.

I'm very curious as to how long the driveshaft needs to be, as I found a Lincoln Mark 8 driveshaft fit perfectly in my Fairlane 302/5 speed set-up (it's an aluminum driveshaft, the diameter is larger but it's still like 1/2 the weight,).

There's still lots of questions, I'm very grateful to all of you on the forum who show interest and who have knowledge about these things, way cool!
'57 FoMoCo's forever!

RICH MUISE

Interesting the Mark VIII driveshaft fit perfect in your Fairlane. Must be due to differences in tranny lengths, because that's what I have unmodified in my Custom. Just needed to change to a taller pinion yoke to make it perfect. As we know, the Fairlanes have a longer wheelbase, therefore a longer driveshaft.

This is and interesting old thread..........two members in the beginning of it we haven't heard from in a long time. Jerry/Ravenrider and I did several shows together in Phoenix as spectators, and Lorne / LAUDY57 bought a car at a Phoenix classic car dealer that I saw a few weeks before he bought it. I helped him track down the builder of the car from the wiring harness!