News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob's 57 AGIN is back to the shop (Santini's)

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-02-17 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Well, the 2015 Car Show season here in Southern California started out with a bang and 85 degree plus weather on Valentine Day and I took my 57 to Indian Wells out near Palm Springs where Obama was playing golf.  The show was great with about 1,000 very nice cars.  I think there were only maybe two 57's other than a bunch of 57 T-Birds at the show.

On the way home I severely bruised my beautiful Custom 300 by running into the back end of a Nissan 370 Z (the little sporty car was just able to stop better than the 57 even though it has 4 wheel disc brakes) and then being sandwiched by a 67 or 68 Chevelle (whose brakes obviously weren't as good as mine).  Everyone walked away from the accident and I was the only one with any damage (bloody nose, split lip & a couple of bruises)  Pete Santini's shop is going to get the repair job and the car should be as good as it was before on Saturday.  Actually, it will probably be better because I'm definitely going to have more aggressive disc brakes even if I have to go to a 17" or 18" rim to use the larger 6 piston brake calipers and maybe some kind of an electric rack & pinion power steering setup.  My 57 was always intended to be a driver and not a garage queen.  Here in Southern Calif traveling the freeways, there is always the possibility of a fender bender no matter how carefully you drive.  I guess that is one of the prices we pay for living in our good weather, with our severe droughts and an occasional earthquake.

I'll keep you all informed of the progress on the repairs.  I've already been in touch with Steve Pierce out in Twentynine Palms and he assures me he's got a usable front clip and lots of other parts & pieces that will be needed.  Santini is coming over later today to look at the car and make me a list of replacement parts required.  The good Lord was indeed watching over all involved in this, as only the cars took a beating and they can all be repaired.

Bob
57 AGIN

Limey57

Glad no-one was seriously hurt, metal can be straightened but bones take longer to heal. 
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hotroddonnie

hiball3985

Yikes!! Sorry to see that. I try to leave plenty of stopping distance from the car ahead, but as soon as you leave a good gap someone fills it  :angry5:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Wow , that is a sore view...nobody was severely injured, that is a good thing ( I have had major spine injuries myself caused by careless driver). still it hurts a lot to see a 57 like this.... :-(
hope it will be back in all of its glory very soon !

lalessi1

Lynn

JimNolan

Bob,
  I hate to see you broke your car. I was in Los Angles once on a freeway there. Notice I said once. Good luck.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Ouch. Body shop jail is better than hospital time though.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

electricalan

Nice rig ya got there Bob,or will be again soon.Sorry for your misfortune and good  luck getting her straight. Al
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

Ecode70D

bob
    It's painful to see that.  I'm happy to hear that you did not get badly hurt.   Jay

Zapato

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Jeff Norwell

Wow Bob,Glad your OK and that is all that matters.Aside from body damage,was your driveline all ok?
Make sure your all good and see a doctor.My father had a late model Mustang and was clipped.He did not realize he was hurt for a few days,Shock had set in.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Only thing to say is....That sucks, but glad no one was hurt!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Everyone:

Pete Santini came over last night and did a quick & dirty appraisal of the damage.  I'll probably need a new front clip, all of the front grill & radiator core support, a headlight bucket on passenger side, right front side trim and likely a number of "oh by the ways." His quick inspection of the frame showed it is likely undamaged.  Interestingly, the front bumper supports were not damaged and are still attached solidly to the frame, but the bumper itself needs replacing.  The passenger door may still be OK, it doesn't open, as the front fender is slightly overlapping and up against it. The driver door opens and generally seems OK some of the clearances are a bit off.  None of the glass was damaged and neither is any of the trim pieces back of the front fenders. The deck lid may be OK although it was shoved forward a bit.  The major rear end damage is to the driver side tail light and the vertical sheet metal the gas filler goes through & license plate attaches to.  As for the drive train, it is probably OK.  I want to get the car up in the air to check out all of the cross members, the motor mounts look OK.  The radiator & electric fans are toast, but we can't really tell about any of the supercharger pulleys & support hardware as the hood won't open & radiator is pretty much in the way.  The car rolls easily, the brakes & emergency brake work, transmission shifts easily.  But since the battery connection to ground on the frame came off the lug bolted to the frame on impact there is no power to anything.  Before that was discovered I was wondering why none of the lights came on when the door was open, the answer is obvious now.  Rick came over and shot some really great photos of the damaged 57.  I've arranged them into some kind of order starting with the Nissan 370 Z I ran into and the Chevelle that ran into me then generally around the car starting up front and ending at the rear.

Bob
57 AGIN