News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob's 57 AGIN is back to the shop (Santini's)

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-02-17 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

billd5string

I just watched a video with Lucky Costa fixing that same issue on "the Draguar". He wired a diode in line one of the alternator connectors to fix the problem. I can find that video again if you are interested in what he did to fix it.

Found the video if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW2AVJtIwp8
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

57tudor

Hi Guys,

Went over to Bob's today and did some quick checks. The exciter lead for the alternator was in the wrong pin connecter. All systems function as they should now. As Edd China would say "Job Done" We received some tail light rings from Concours today and the chrome on one of them was junk. I cant believe they missed that when they were filling the order :deadhorse: , so that one will go back for replacement. Speakers, and a new CD player and my part is done. Then its off to upholstery and then tail pipes. The hood is last as we plan to drive over to Santini's where both hoods are. I think the 58 hood will go on first to see how it looks on the car with the color scheme. More to come.

Rick
57Tudor
:unitedstates:

57AGIN

Guys:

Rick was almost right, it seems like CD Changers have now gone the way of the 8-tracks & Cassette recorders.  No one makes them any more.  everything is now Bluetooth, etc.  CustomAuto Sound no longer makes a 57 Ford replica radio with the original kind of face plate (they do still make Tri-five Brand X's though). I was really bummed, as I really liked traveling & listening to my favorite Duane Eddy albums & surf tunes.  Seems like at the time of the accident I was listening to my Cd's and the 10 disc Kenwood CD changer got crunched.  However, I was able to source through Classic Auto Stereos a nice 1957 Ford Town & Country radio with Bluetooth. So I guess I'll have to change to the new technology.  Unfortunately, it will be 12 weeks to get the radio built, as the company doing them is small and they are on back order.  At least my old radio wasn't trashed in the accident so I can listen to some tunes, just not my tunes. 

When we fired the engine we also tested all the electrical hookups and everything worked except for the nicely painted horns, barely a croak out of either one.  I did have one old decrepit one in a storage box and it works (Lo-tone), it has now been media blasted and painted and ready to be remounted, so as soon as I can get one of my Hi-tone horns working that minor aspect of the rehab will be complete.  I looks like sometime around June 2017, 57 AGIN will be on the road again. At last!!!

Bob
57 AGIN 

RICH MUISE

Excellent that you guys are down to the smaller things.
You're gonna love that bluetooth, I assume your Shelby has one and your daily drivers. We have na no cell phone law while driving in Amarillo, so the bluetooth is nice for that, and I am hard of hearing, so the bluetooth helps a ton to hear......much clearer and louder than the cell phone alone.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Just curious, do the Town & Country radio conversions come with a face plate?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

hiball3985:

Everything I've read about this particular radio is that it is close enough to the original Town & Country radio in appearance that it will be a no points deduction for "Concours" judging.  That may be sales hype, but as soon as I get the radio I will let you know.  My old Kenwood 801 that I bought from Custom Autosound did have a factory style curved and lined face plate.  I'll attach a photo of both my old one and the new one.

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Thanks Bob, I was just curious because the T & C radio uses a different face plate compared to the standard radio. I see from the PDF they provide their own face plate, thats good for guys that don't have one..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

Guys:

Not too much left to do on the 57 until its back on the road.  LOJACK was installed today and a visit to the upholstery shop showed some progress also.  I'm having the upholstery mildly redone, as my wife said the other day it was kind of "Blah." While the car was in at Santini's being rehabilitated I had Steve Stanford (illustrator with lots and lots of serious experience in the Custom Car field) do some potential renderings for minor changes in the upholstery.  The one I settled on uses a slightly darker shade of leather in shallow diamond tuft, highlighted with a touch of blue on the seat and side panels. The front seat should be ready to install by Friday and the car can then be driven to the upholster shop for the rest of the job.  After that is done, it is off to Wheeler's to have the rear exhaust re-routed and both the rear and front bumpers installed.  My hi-tone horn is being rebuilt (if it can be salvaged) and after it is installed the 58 or 57 hood can go on.  The final pieces of the puzzle will be to check out the braking system and probably replace the tires do an alignment and adjust the headlights.  It didn't get done in time for Knott's or the Edelbrock car shows as I was hoping, but it is close.

Bob
57 AGIN

djfordmanjack

The diamond pattern looks terrific ! looking forward to see the whole interior in the car.

57AGIN

djfordmanjack:

Thanks, I think it gives a little more character to the interior.  I went by the upholstery shop today and found that they have almost completed the back seat base and the upper part of the back seat.  Remember my back seat folds down to allow my 10' surfboard to be stuffed through the trunk over the back seat and onto the front seat and shut the trunk with everything inside the car.  The front seat should be done this Monday and when attached to the floor I can drive the car over to the upholstery shop and let them finish with the upholstery upgrade.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

KYBlueOval:

In response to your question about exactly what are the rear view mirrors on my 57 from Project Builds Re: 1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon (? Reply #368 on: May 03, 2017, 03:16:48), "Bob....your description of these mirrors sounds great........can you tell us exactly what mirrors you are using?
Thanks"

I looked through all my receipts (Yes, I 've tried to keep all the receipts on my 57 from the day I bought it back in 1998) and was unable to come up with any for my outside mirrors.  I know I replaced them when the car was first painted by Santini sometime during 2011 and 2013.  They were either from Dennis Carpenter or Concours  and the following is a description from Carpenter's current On-line Catalog.

Rear View Mirror - 2 Hole
Outside - w/Script
1955 - 64
B5A-18402-A

Be the first to review this product
?   Chrome Plated
?   Round Head
?   Fits Right or Left   ?   2 Hole Mounting
?   FoMoCo Script Base
?   Include mounting gasket & Screws

The mirrors are not cheap as the current price is $74.95.  The mirrors with the FoMoCo script cost more and may be built to a higher quality???

Bob
57 AGIN

KYBlueOval

Bob.......Thank you for taking the time to look into the mirror information. I'll check out the Carpenter catalog.
John

lalessi1

John, That is the mirror I have, without the logo. I am not satisfied with mine....
Lynn

KYBlueOval

djfordmanjack

the folding seat back and board are extra cool! Is that a vintage board ?