News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob's 57 AGIN is back to the shop (Santini's)

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-02-17 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Apparently Santini is working toward giving me a somewhat belated Christmas present.  They are doing some more work on my 57.  The front fenders are off, one of them is being given a final touch up before painting.  The core support and fender wells are off and being powder coated before painting.  Looks like things are progressing again.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Here is the latest on my 57.  I've had the engine home since December 19 and I too am moving slowly.  The engine is just getting a cleaning and re-polishing of polished aluminum parts that I don't have to dismantle to get at. So far the blower box and all of its fittings have been removed along with the carburetor and bagged, so I can get at the Air-Gap intake manifold.  It hasn't been really cleaned since being installed back in 2002 and it is amazing how dull it had gotten. The work is slow, as there are lots of spaces that a buffing pad and drill motor can't reach, same holds true for a Dremel tool with polishing attachments.  So lots of micro-fiber towels & metal polish with good old elbow grease.

Santini's people are back on working on my 57.  Seems like about a month goes by between spurts of work.  The core support and fender wells are back from powder coating and the engine compartment side of the fender wells have been smoothed and prepared for the 2-tone paint job.  The hood, deck lid, doors and fenders are finally ready for primer and the body is in the process of being masked off for primer.  Maybe by next week the primer and final blocking may be well under way.  I'm really hopeful anyway.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Here are some photos of the other pieces mentioned.   :deadhorse:

Jeff Norwell

Looks Great!...You must be Happy with all that great work.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57AGIN

Well Guys it's time to give another update.  Lots has been going on, but the car is still not in the paint booth.  But, I think it will start before the 1 year anniversary of the 57's Valentines Day Massacre (accident).  In mid-January the 57 was being taped up for some final primer spray and the fender wells and bumper brackets were back from being powder coated.  The passenger side still needed some final sanding prep around the old battery box area.

57AGIN

About a week later, the bumpers were back from being straightened and de-chromed.  Santini delivered them over to Wheeler's Speed Shop to have the bumper bolts removed and converted into behind the bumper studs for mounting to the bumper brackets and to have some half moon cuts done on the rear bumper for the exhaust tips.   Wheeler?s shop was busy doing some really nice custom work on the frame for a 1940?s Woody.  I took a couple of shots of the Art Morrison chassis and the 427 small block Ford going into the woody. Like I said they do really nice custom work.  At one point I was thinking about having Wheelers graft a 56 Crown Vic top and B pillar onto my 57 and having the only 57 Crown Vic around, but the cost estimate was prohibitive.  Oh well, I'll just have to settle for a running 57 Custom 300 which isn't all that bad.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Finally, this week has seen the windows all removed for painting, the door hardware and doors have all been removed and I am told the car, fenders, hood and deck lid are ready for the paint booth.  So I'm not 100% positive, but pretty sure the paint booth is not far off.  If it goes into the booth this Friday I won't be around, as Rick and I will be at the WinterNationals.  But, I'll be back at Santini's on Monday with my trusty camera.  I'm sure he will be glad to see me and my camera gone eventually.  I'll still have plenty of work left to do before the car is back on the road and/or at car shows. Stay tuned for more episodes.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

As you said, they're probably anxious to get it on out as well. Any changes from the paint scheme?
Thanks for the updates.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Rich:

At this time I'm not planning any changes in the paint scheme.  Pete may come up with something slightly different for the Custom 300 side trim paint area, but the basic colors will be House of Color Magic and Mystic Blue pearlescent mix over a Honda Pewter metallic.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Back again:

The bumpers are being worked on to remove the bolts & bumper guards.  These photos show some of the processes Wheeler's goes through to do a good job of replacing bumper bolts with studs that won't warp the bumper when tightened onto the bumper brackets.  I photographed the layout table with the rear bumper attached to show the care taken in making sure the bumper will be absolutely level when all the studs are attached and the bumper is to be mounted onto the car after chroming.  After each hole is filled in the outside of the bumper is hand filed smooth to ensure there are no dimples where the former bolt hole was.  Many of the cars they have done and are in their shop for upgrades have this done to the bumpers and I'm told that as long a the chrome shop uses the proper techniques and materials in their chroming process the bumpers come out absolutely flawless.  After filling in the bumper bolt holes, they use a 1/4" metal plate to which a bolt is welded to with the head removed which is then welded on the corners only (to prevent the welding of the plate onto the bumper from drawing the metal of the bumper into the welded plate and forming a crease in the to be chromed outside of the bumper.  This plate mounted stud spreads the pressure of the tightening of the stud to the bumper brackets from warping the nicely chromed bumper.  I never thought about that when installing the bumper using bumper bolts after the first time the car was painted and reassembled.     Finally, the last photo taken on Friday March 4, 2016, shows my doors, hood and deck lid finally going into the paint booth for applying the first color coats.  Whoopee, at last.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Sure looks like your bumpers are getting the royal treatment...I'm sure it's a lot more care than most smoothies would get.
Nice it's finally getting paint.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Yeah Rich:

It's been a long time coming.  I'll still be visiting it every day on weekdays, as his shop is closed on weekends.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Things keep moving on as the refurbishment continues.  I took a friend over to Wheeler's to show him how the bumpers are being modified.  When we got there we found that the front bumper was completed and ready to be taken to the chrome shop.  The rear bumper was being worked on by a guy using a metal file by hand on removing all traces of filling in the former bolt holes on the bumper.  Apparently to do it right a number of hours of this are required for each bumper.  Next comes cutting the exhaust tip half moons having a small raised bead surrounding the cut out portion of the bumper.

We then went on to deliver to Santini's the 58 Ford hood we had just picked up from being chemically stripped.  Santini had experienced poor results in having several 57 hoods bead blasted and warping perfectly good hoods.  We didn't want to take a chance with the 58 hood, as they seem to be more scarce.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the car looks with a 58 hood.  I'll have a 57 and a 58 hood when all is done and maybe with some different painting options done on each.  We'll see sometime soon, I hope.

Bob
57 AGIN   

57AGIN

When I went back to Santini's today, I found one of his guys working on my 58 hood.  First using the DA sander and then a hammer & dolly.  This worker has been working on a Corvette for the past week (I think every panel on the Vette had some kind of crack in the fiberglass.  Apparently this worker is multi-talented, modern stuff & old tech, too.  At last thing are moving again.

Bob
57 AGIN

robhaerr