News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob's 57 AGIN is back to the shop (Santini's)

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-02-17 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

There is...DC sells it, however, since mine was not a factory restoration, I went with a dome shaped rubber weatherstrip, I think made by Rodtiques? I remember it was made for 30's type cars as a door seal. Self  adhesive...grips like crazy after a day or so. Pretty easily repositionable for a period of time.
I'm in Phoenix for a funeral, but I may have time to go to SoCal speed shop which is where I bought it...I'll some info on it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

Thanks, I was just curious as sometime I'll need to do something to seal the inner fender to the outer fender.  Who knows, it may take years, hopefully not though!
Terry

57AGIN

Happy New Year:

Yes, the 57 is still in at Santini's, one step forward, then one sometimes two backward.  The aprons and core support are back off the car to help with reinstalling the heater hoses, supercharger intake plumbing both to and from the blower housing, valve covers, etc. Rick has been coaching the body guy at Santini's on 57 body assembly specifics. We are to the point where we need the front sheet metal, aprons, fenders and core support installed.  Santini's body guy has to do that.  However, the door seals have to be fully attached so all the sheet metal will align properly. Then once the passenger side apron has been installed, Rick and I need to run the wiring harness forward, re-hookup the MSD wiring and move it out of the way so the body guy can install the fender & radio antennae.  After that Rick & I can reinstall the radiator and wiring to the electric fans, thermostat, headlights, horns and turn signals.  It is getting closer to completion, but we're not there yet.  I'll post a few photos of what's been going on during the last month.

The 1st photos are of the driver side apron where the air intake for the supercharger is placed either side of that fender apron (Note: the K7N air filter is directly behind the left headlight).  The next couple are of the engine as it is being reassembled in the car.

57AGIN

The final couple of photos are of the exhaust system 3/4 reinstalled and the rear end where the bumper bracket and exhaust tips will be mounted.  The bumper bracket will have to be massaged a bit and the final exhaust pipe extension will have to be rerouted to the outside of the frame to align with the new exhaust tip location on the rear bumper.

That's it for now.  Right now we are waiting for the body guy to do his thing so Rick and I can get back to doing our part to get the car running again.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

You have the patience of a saint, Bob. LOL....I looked at 193B quickly and wondered what all that crumpled sheetmetal was......til I realized it was a tarp.

57AGIN

Well Guys:

At Rick's suggestion we finally took the bull by the horns and we came over to Santini's shop and began reassembling everything we could.  Starting late last week and the first 3 days this week the car is now ready to be transported to my garage, where Rick with me helping where I can will be getting the electrical system and engine ready to run.  With a series of storms coming in over the next few days I'll be clearing out work space in the garage so we can have the car transported here next Monday or Tuesday.  When the car is running again, I'll have the upholstery reinstalled (did I mention, I had Steve Stanford prepare a number of upholstery options to make subtle minor modifications to the existing upholstery) and then drive the car back to Santini's for final finishing.  The car should be ready in time for the Annual Fabulous Fords Forever Show at Knott's Berry Farm on April 30, 2017. I still have to decide on tires and rims, but we're getting close to the conclusion of this latest segment of my 57's rehabilitation.

The next series of photos show some of the final steps in preparing the car for transport to my house.  1st photo is of Rick working on the passenger side door lock mechanism. The 2nd photo shows the final ground flush studs on the passenger side fender trim near the rear of the fender.  The 3rd photo shows the driver side fender finally attached to the core support.  The 4th photo shows Santini's body mechanic aligning the passenger fender and body mounting holes in the area where the major damage occurred in the accident.

57AGIN

The next series of photos begin with the passenger side fender installed.  The 2nd photo shows Rick working on installing the supercharger air intake through the driver side fender apron.  The 3rd photo shows the body mechanic adjusting the air intake bolt holes on the fender apron.  The 4th photo shows the door seal finally completely installed on the driver side door.

57AGIN

The next series of photos starts with the front splash pan on the driver side needing to have the end reattached after body prep caused the factory spot welds to detach (Rick said the same thing happened when his 57 was being painted 17 years ago.  The 2nd photo shows Rick and the body mechanic beginning the reinstallation of the deck lid seal.  The 3rd photo shows the two man teamwork involved in doing a very clean gluing of the seal to the deck lid (I'm told a one man job can be pretty messy).  The 4th photo shows the deck lid seal completely installed and drying before it being reattached to the car.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Finally the last two photos.  The 1st one shows Rick and the body mechanic aligning the closure of the deck lid.  The 2nd photo just shows the 57 all covered up in anticipation of the incoming series of storms expected during the next 5 or 6 days.  Hooray, the extreme drought here in the Southland may finally be easing.

The car will be transported to my garage as soon as the storms are done and lots of electrical and finish work can be done.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ecode70D

I'm curious.   How well did the trunk lid fit after installing that trunk lid seal.  Mine is still tough to close after having been installed over a year ago.  Seems like the rubber used today is harder than what Henry used back in the day.

57tudor

Ecode70D

The rubber we had was very pliable. After we got the trunk lid back on and the alignment set where we wanted it, it opened and closed just fine. We are having some minor issues with the two door seals as the doors will close with some effort to the first catch. These door seals were very pliable except for the large area where the doors close into the windshield area. We will give it some time and then go to the fully closed position. When we get the car back to Bob?s house next week, I plan to use a strap and pull the doors together.

Rick,
57Tudor
:unitedstates:

JimNolan

The door seals: I did as you are doing and let the door stick out from the body for a while. Car shows caused me to increase the adjustment to get it back where it should be. I wish I'd taken more time with my seals. When the seals finally collapsed I think I went too far.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

On the door seals, I had to trim the thick pieces that fit against the A posts at the windshield area.   It was the only way to get the doors to close.   

RICH MUISE

Jay....I have no issue with my trunk closing. Perhaps a vertical adjustment on your lower catch so the piece on the trunk lid grabs sooner? I did have to play around with mine to get it right. The only issue I have with my trunk seal is it wants to stick to the body. A coating of silicon helped alot, but only for 4 or 5 days. I'm looking for something else to make it not stick.
One thing I discovered when I was taking my car apart for repaint is what was making my doors hard to close was not the seals as I had suspected all along. It was my thick door panels against the new windlace. Once I took the door panels off, the doors closed super easy!

Ecode70D

[quote author=RICH MUISE Perhaps a vertical adjustment on your lower catch so the piece on the trunk lid grabs sooner? I did have to play around with mine to get it right. The only issue I have with my trunk seal is it wants to stick to the body. A coating of silicon helped alot, but only for 4 or 5 days. I'm looking for something else to make it not stick.
[/quote]

I adjusted the lower latch first thing.   Closing the trunk is starting to get easier. 
   As far as sticking to the body,   it seems that I read somewhere that putting a little Vaseline on it keeps it from sticking and also helps it to close easier.