Front clip / inner fender / core support assembly diagrams

Started by Limey57, 2015-02-27 14:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I'm sure I've seen a thread on here relating to how the inner fenders and other front panels are assembled, but I can't find it.  Anyone know if there was/is one and can point me in the right direction?  I am just about to start putting mine back together and anything that shows how it all goes together should help.

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

57AGIN

Limey57:

Right now Santini has my illustrated 57 ford parts catalog, which has the exploded views of all the various 57 Ford models 1949 to 1959.  He also has my copy of the Trim Manual.  If you don't get a response by Monday, I'll get these books back from Santini and make appropriate copies and post them here. I'm also going to look at my various assembly photos to see if I have anything you might be able to use.  I had my fender wells two toned to match the exterior paint scheme for both the Turquoise/White and Blue/Pewter paint jobs, so there might be something I can post.

The first ones I found were from back in 2003 when the car was being put on the road following its first rebuild.  You can see inside the engine compartment on the driver side the fender well bolts going first through the fender then the fender well, with the nuts being mounted and tightened inside of the fender.  Note also the radiator core support being bolted to the fender well, finally here is another shot of the driver side showing the core support mounting and the 3 empty bolt holes where the front nose piece bolts to the 
fender (I can't remember if the fender well has the front nose piece also bolted to it and the fender).  I hope these help in the meantime.
Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Limey57:
Oops, I printed two of the same photo, here are a couple of other photos of the engine compartment.  Maybe they will help show where the wheel wells in my 57 were derived from and where they wound up before the accident.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

I'm getting real close to that front end assembly myself, so any assembly diagrams/help would be greatly appreciated by me also. I vaguely recall when I was doing a check fit back a few years ago, I was trying to figure out if the forward lip on the inner fender was inside or outside of the outer fender. I know it doesn't make sense verbally, but if you're trying to assemble, you'd see what I was talking about.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Thanks Bob, that's a great help.  I'm at a disadvantage that I didn't strip the Ranchero and although the original owner labelled almost everything, trying to get everything in the right order on re-assembly usually ends up with three or more attempts!  Got to say the 2-tone looks good on the inner fenders, I never thought of that and just did mine satin-black.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ecode70D

Gary and Rich
   Pay very close attention to the location of the forward lip of the inner fender well on Bob's car.   Notice that it is inside the fender lip.  He has it right.   The edge of the header with the three holes bolt against the fender.  This question comes up frequently.   Jay

RICH MUISE

Jay, Thanks for the confirmation....That's the way I'll do it.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-02-28 22:33
Jay, Thanks for the confirmation....That's the way I'll do it.

Rich
I remembered that you were asking about that at one time.   That's also the way I assembled my car. JA

Limey57

Thanks for the info.  Had a slight set-back today as I noticed that the supposed satin-black paint on the inner fenders looks way to shiny so I'm going to have some matting agent added to the paint and give them another coat.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Shiney is good!
While we're on the subject of front end assembly...the "L" shaped weatherstrip/seal the goes on the inner fender well flange that follows the profile of the fender... I'm assuming since it is "L" shaped, the unattached leg is outward towards the fender? I don't know of any other reason why it would be "L" shaped. Is this correct, but I also don't know how much space is between the fender and the inner fender.

ragtop

this has helped me put the front end together

57AGIN

Limey57:

The two illustrations sent by ragtop are the ones I was going to send when I got my books back from Santini.  I now have the books back, so let me know if you still have questions.

Bob
57 AGIN

Limey57

Thanks, those scans are a great help, they also helped identify some parts that I had no idea where they went.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting those. I was hoping the illustration would show which way the "L" seat between the fender and inner fender sat, but you can't tell. For me it doesn't matter anyway because yesterday I picked up some rubber extrusion made by Vintiques for hot rod doors. It's hollow, 5/8 wide, dome shaped. It comes with a self adhesive strip, but I'll see how strong the adhesive is and add some mechanical fasteners if necessary. Not oem, but my car doesn't matter.
I guess the brackets shown in both diagrams (17886 and 17887) that attach in front of the splash shield are the ones that attach to the bumper?

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-03-05 07:39
Thanks for posting those. I was hoping the illustration would show which way the "L" seat between the fender and inner fender sat, but you can't tell. For me it doesn't matter anyway because yesterday I picked up some rubber extrusion made by Vintiques for hot rod doors. It's hollow, 5/8 wide, dome shaped. It comes with a self adhesive strip, but I'll see how strong the adhesive is and add some mechanical fasteners if necessary. Not oem, but my car doesn't matter.
I guess the brackets shown in both diagrams (17886 and 17887) that attach in front of the splash shield are the ones that attach to the bumper?
yes they attach to the bumper