News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Muffler location

Started by akronterr, 2015-02-28 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

akronterr

Hi Guys, Just wonder if you have a preference for muffler location. Under the front seats or rear seats. I think there is a difference in sound depending location. I was told under front seats will give a deeper tone, (longer tail pipes)? I'm running a 351C with Boss manifolds, no room for headers. 2&1/2 inch exhaust pipes will be used. Will dump down behind rear tires. Thanks for any comments Terry

JimNolan

There are hangers made for the mufflers to connect to under the front seats. when I installed mufflers I was more worried about securing them and having a secure exhaust system that didn't rattle or need new brackets made. I use straight through Hooker Aero chamber and they can be throaty. Not like some of the higher priced mufflers though.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lalessi1

I always believed that cars that had the mufflers closer to the exit sounded better. I had glass packs in the factory location in the day and they would "rap" on acceleration while other cars would "rap" on deceleration. I have my mufflers under the seat now and the exhausts exit behind the rear wheel. Personal experience and preference, no facts....
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

i am going to put mine under the back seat.i picked up a exhaust kit for a 65-66 mustang.looks like it will work with a few mods.this kit comes with all the hangers,will make it simpler to install.kit came with flowmaster 40's.thinking this will be too loud.what are you guys running?i want it quiet   

rmk57

18" magna flows , 3" in 3" out. Mounted as far back as I could to route tailpipes over the rear end housing.
I made my own tailpipes from flowmaster 2 1/2 universal kit.

I found if you dump the exhaust in front of the axle the drone will drive you nuts, almost to the point of wearing earplugs on a 50 mile drive.

My engine was a modded 460.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

junior58

I ran my pipes down the trans tunnel area, with a balance pipe near the rear of the trans, mufflers mounted in the floor pan recess under the rear seat so they are up nice and high, tailpipes all the way out the back, sounds nice and throaty, also nothing hanging below the frame so when I'm fully loaded, no chance of getting them hung up.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

lalessi1

I am running 2" Turbos beneath the rear seat, tail pipes over the axle turning out and down exiting behind the rear wheels. Almost too quiet!
Lynn

sprink88

I have glass packs at an upward angle as it goes over the axle.
~Chris

Ecode70D

Lynn
   Almost too quiet is not good enough.   You'll have to get under there and make some holes in the pipes or something so we will know that your'e coming. HA HA Jay

Limey57

Is there any reason NOT to use a balance pipe?  My 60 C***y Impala didn't have one but I know others say they are a must.  On the Ranchero I was going to run the pipes just inside the frame rails meaking it difficult (but not impossible) to fit a balance pipe.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

akronterr

I was always told the H pipe or balance pipe gives more low end torque. I know all of my Mustangs had the H pipe on them.

John Palmer

A couple of thoughts on exhaust systems.

I agree, that the drone is unbearable if you exit the exhaust under the vehicle on a road car.  It's better out the back, but at least make it over the rear axle, and out behind the rear tires.

On my roadster, I built a 2 1/2" system using a home made "X" pipe made from two 90's welded together at the radius.  It worked very well. 

I wanted the new system ceramic coated.  So, I checked with my coater (Embee Coating, Santa Ana, CA) and they could handle anything up to 60" in length in their high temp ceramic oven.  So I built the exhaust in sections of less than 60" and joined the two tail pipe/muffler sections to the "X" pipe section with "V" Band clamps.  I was very happy with the clamps, and the satin black exhaust coating looked as good as day one when I sold the car after five years of use.

BP57CUSTOM

I have "smittys" on my 57 ,just inside the frame rails and at the same angle as the rails ,has a real neat appearance and they sound pretty good exiting under the bumper. I put a set of Flowmaster 40's on my brothers Mustang about a month ago and they are too loud!
Oh  Junior 58 , you mention being fully loaded , what are you hauling in New Zeland ?
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

junior58

Barry, at the recent Muscle Car madness (that Tom Drummond attended while he was here), cruising of the complex was allowed (encouraged), I was known to go eight up at one stage (who needs airbags?).
Even when cruising six up (with a load of likely lads) I have scraped frame rails over our severe speed humps through the middle of town.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

lalessi1

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2015-03-01 14:58
Lynn
   Almost too quiet is not good enough.   You'll have to get under there and make some holes in the pipes or something so we will know that your'e coming. HA HA Jay

My car had 2 1/2 Smittys on my car when I bought it, everybody knew where I was!!! (Not good). When I replaced the 302 with the 390 I went to a 2" exhaust with the "Turbo" mufflers. I really did it to get the car on the road with a "base line" system. I plan on going to a 2 1/2" pipes with a cross over, headers, and TBD mufflers. I like the tailpipes exiting behind the rear wheels so far but.... still researching (reading these posts)!  :003:
Lynn