News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Emergency Brake Cable

Started by wighty, 2015-03-01 19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

wighty

I am installing a new Emergency Brake Cable on my 57.  I think I am missing a bracket that would mount the cable at the pulley at the bottom of the Emergency Brake Handle on the inside of the firewall.  There are two holes that align with the pulley where I think this bracket would mount. Is anyone familiar with this possible missing bracket.  If I am missing a bracket, does anyone have an extra they could sell me or a picture of what it looks like so I could make one? I am also looking for the Clips that retain each end of the Cable.

petew

Check ebay auction # 381174834944

RICH MUISE

Not sure if this is gonna work...
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4227.0;attach=7287
or just go to the thread under brake related stuff. This pic shows everything but the bracket. The bracket mounts to the firewall. I posted this pic because the bracket you need fits into the groove in the aluminum fitting keeping the cable housing secured in place. I'm not at home so I can't get to my pics, not sure if I can get to the ebay # Pete posted to see if it's what I'm talking about. Also, don't know what clips you're talking about to "retain the end of the cable". Are you making your own cable rather than buying the premade ones with all the fittings, etc?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

That is the correct bracket in the eBay picture, I did mine a while back but I actually remember!!!!
Lynn

wighty

This is in reply to Rich. I appreciate your questions.
I purchased an new Emergency Brake Cable from Dennis Carpenter. Each end of the Cable Housing has a groove where a U Shaped Retaining Clip might snap into.  On the Transmission Mount Cross Member there is a mounting Tab where the Cable is retained with what I think would be this U Shaped Clip.  On the inside floor board, where the cable comes up through to connect with the Factory Hand Brake Handle there are two holes in the floor board that are aligned to the Pulley that the cable wraps around.  I am thinking that there should be a bracket that would mount to these two holes and would utilize another U shaped Clip to retain that end of the EB Cable assembly.  What was shown on ebay was a simple mounting clamp that could only clamp the new cable down to the floor.  Maybe this is what Ford used, even though there is a groove in the Cable Housing for a U shaped Clip.  I think the U shaped Clip would be one like the one that is used on the front brake flexible lines where they mount to the chassis.

RICH MUISE

The end at the tranny crossmember uses a c-clip as you mentioned, but the end at the pulley does not. The picture on ebay is so bad I can't tell ifit's  the correct one or not...my gut feeling without being home to look at mine, is it is not correct. I can't tell if the clamp/bracket in the ebay  pic has the needed  rib formed on the inside of the rounded area that fits into the groove on the aluminum fitting.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=4227.0

Wighty...check out the 3rd pic in post #8..if you zoom in on it, you can see the bracket were talking about...looking at it now, it looks very similar to the ebay one, but as I said with the pic quality I just can't tell if it has the retaining rib/flange.
Also, in post #7 on that thread, open the link to the Ford OEM diagram...it shows that bracket.
If you scroll down towards the end of that thread, you'll see a pic of a clip that works great on the tranny crossmember...if you can find them. I had a hard time finding a good c-clip size that would work.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I bought the retaining clip (crossmember end) at O'Reillys, it is a brake hose retaining clip. I brought the cable with me...
Lynn

wighty

Thanks to all for your help and advice. It makes sense that there would be a retaining rib in the inside bracket.
Dennis (wighty)

wighty

After having the Parking Brake Cable Bracket described to me, I went looking for it in my pile of bolts and found it.  Maybe some of you would like to see what it looks like.