News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 DOHC Install

Started by Raven Rider, 2015-03-04 17:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

I'm giving up on the 300 six just too expensive and not enough goodies.  So I have read through most of the threads on swapping the 4.6 DOHC and I'm pretty sure I have a list of the parts and mods that need to be done.   I already have a 302 and a 5 speed trans in the RW so both of those will be replaced.  What I would like more information on is just how long it will take an average shade tree mechanic to do this swap. I will start by having the 302 and trans out and the engine bay cleaned and prepped and the 4.6 and trans cleaned and prepped.  So what would be the average do you think not working fast but steady.   

canadian_ranchero

i am hoping to have mine done by may.if i do not find anything else wrong

lalessi1

Out of sheer ignorance, what are you hoping to achieve with the swap given what you have in the car already? Just curious....
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Jerry...most of the time will be spent on plumbing and wiring. I rarely worked on mine more than a few hours a day, thus it dragged out, plus I was in a huge learning curve since I had never done a swap before. I don't know if you saw my post in Morning Coffee, but I'm in Phoenix now. If I had known this earlier, I could have brought my 4.6 mock up block and tranny case. We're probably gonna head back Saturday. It's been a crazy week here.
Watch Canadian Ranchero's build....he'll have I'm sure different ways of doing stuff than I did, and he is planning on locating the engine a bit more forward than I did, so I'm anxious to see how that works out. Where the engine sits I think changes which problems you'd rather deal with, as well as where it is sitting depends a lot on what steering your gonna end up with.
To answer your question about how much time, unless your going to go gung-ho on getting it done asap, I think a minimum of  3-5 months could be expected. Lots of small stuff to deal with, and a lot depends on if you go with the Ron Francis kit (a lot more bucks, a lot less time).
A major advantage you'll have with Gary getting his done now, is a lot less time on researching. Between his and mine, you should have several routes to go all mapped out for you. Of course, for me, the figuring out stuff was 1/2 the fun.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Raven Rider

Lalessi1   What I hope to achieve is a motor trans combo the is both reliable and maintenance free the 302 and transmission I have in the car is from a 1993 ford f150 and the combo is just a little odd for a car and it has a carburetor instead of EFI don't get me wrong it works good and the mileage isn't bad with the 5 speed but the combo isn't quite right the first gear is almost worthless but taking off in 2nd isn't that smooth I guess I could go with a different rear dif but I would not know which ratio would be best.  Rich 3-5 months good gravy I was hoping for 2 - 3 weekends that would be 6 days.   I now can see why the 4.6 build threads read like a book. ;)  I might just swap in another 5.0 & eaod combo from a EFI Mustang.  I would rather drive my car than work on it.  I don't like the looks of the 5.0 EFI it is butt ugly but they do work and with a few goodies it will run just fine for a RW. Thanks for the replies. 

RICH MUISE

Wait for some other opinions before you make a final decision...keep in mind I had never done a swap of any kind before. However, with that said, I have a friend who could probably get it done in less that a few weeks, but I honestly can't see any way a few weekends would get it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe