News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Control Arm Bushings Recommendations/Caveats?

Started by lalessi1, 2015-03-16 07:22

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Looking to replace my control arm bushings...any input would be appreciated. Anybody ever tried urethane bushings?
Lynn

hiball3985

I don't see any possible way you could use a urethane bushing just due to the way the original design is.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I hate to tell guys to search, so I brought a couple of old threads ttt for ya.  :003:
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rk57meteor

I upgraded my front control arm bushings to urethane. I  fab/machined them  from a Eng Suspension kit I found locally. Vast improvement,  the old ones basically came out in multiple pieces of rubber. It was all day task.

hiball3985

Quote from: rk57meteor on 2015-03-16 09:58
I upgraded my front control arm bushings to urethane. I  fab/machined them  from a Eng Suspension kit I found locally. Vast improvement,  the old ones basically came out in multiple pieces of rubber. It was all day task.
Do you have any pictures?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Thanks Rich. (Whats a ttt?). I did search a little but my question is more about suppliers and ureathane bushing avaiability.
I have read about issues with rubber stuff made in China and ball joint issues so I was hoping for a recommended brand.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Sorry...I thought you were also looking for tips on installation.
ttt= to the top
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Lynn

hiball3985

The design changed in '58 and can be used on the '57. I had totally forgot about that when I did mine or I would have changed them. The brain farts are coming more often lately  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rk57meteor

Reply for hiball3985
Sorry no pics, other than the old ratty ones that I removed. I failed to document with pics ,must have been too focused on getting the repair finished.

hiball3985

Quote from: rk57meteor on 2015-04-03 23:25
Reply for hiball3985
Sorry no pics, other than the old ratty ones that I removed. I failed to document with pics ,must have been too focused on getting the repair finished.
I understand, I'm terrible at documenting things myself.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Dakota

can the 57 Bushings be used in the 58 Upper control arms?    what is the difference?

i have a 58 Edsel, and the upper control arm bushings are toast, and the only place i see them is at Macs and theirs is a whole kit at 170$ a side.

Hot Rodders are the True Artists, Restorers just paint by number. ~ Luanne Rosenow

lalessi1

I am not sure but I believe you could use the 57 bushing setup but you would need to change the shaft the bushings mount on.
eBay has less expensive ones for the '58s.
Lynn

Dakota

Kanter sells just the bushing for 58s I found out.
Hot Rodders are the True Artists, Restorers just paint by number. ~ Luanne Rosenow