News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Looking at going one wire. What do I omit?

Started by sprink88, 2015-03-22 12:45

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

I am leaning towards the Ford G2 or G2 to keep it all Ford. But No matter what I use, Ford or GM one wire, what am I not using?

Do I still need the voltage regulator? Ballast resistor? Anything else?

I am going to a 390
~Chris

lalessi1

You don't need a voltage regulator, the alternator doesn't need it. You need a ballast resistor depending on what ignition setup you use. I have a Pertronix distibutor/coil and they don't use a ballast resistor. I used a three wire alternator and a solid state voltage regulator on mine.
Lynn

sprink88

Thanks Lalessi1, I currently have a 3 wire off the 390, But looking to open up the engine bay and clean it up.

I am running an MSD 6A and an MSD 8594 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8594

I have a pertronix igniter  on it and I had to use my ballast resistor
~Chris

lalessi1

The stock coil requires the ballast resistor. I am using a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil that doesn't need one (per the instructions).
Lynn

hiball3985

I'm using a Flame Thrower coil with my Pertronix without a ballast resister also..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sprink88

I see. I am using a regular coil with my pertronix.

Since I am going with an MSD box and MSD dizzy, will I still need the ballast resistor?

Also going with a one wire alternator, I could get rid of voltage regulator, Right?
~Chris

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: sprink88 on 2015-03-29 09:36

Since I am going with an MSD box and MSD dizzy, will I still need the ballast resistor?
The instruction sheet should answer that, some electronic systems do not use the ballast some do.

Also going with a one wire alternator, I could get rid of voltage regulator, Right?
Yes, both the GM and the Ford G2 & 3 have internal regulators.  Google the Ford and you will find a resonable plug and play wireing kit for both.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

sprink88

Thanks FBB, the box is used from a friend who needs a different one. Dizzy is new.

Yeah, I will google for a harness.
~Chris