News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lower rad hose 460 swap

Started by rmk57, 2015-03-22 18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I think there's a couple on this board with 429-460's and was wondering what your using for a lower rad hose.

Right now I have a homemade job with two curved pieces for the water pump and rad with a piece of pcv in the middle. It works, but it I'd rather have a proper hose for it.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

LAUDY57

I don't know a number for what you're looking for (other looking at pics of a 429 Mustang hose) but since you've had the FE before (?) do you know a number for the 390 lower hose? I've just done what you did with 2 pcs and a piece of tubing because the local shop doesn't have much of a selection to rummage thru.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

rmk57

My local parts place let me go through their hose section with no luck.  I asked to order a 67-70 big block Mustang or a 71 big block and all that came up from Gates was a length of that universal flex hose, which wont work.

The search continues.......................

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

BWhitmore

You might want to get a length of 1/8 inch gas welding rod and shape it to fit the type of lower hose you need.  Take the shaped welding rod to an auto parts store that has a large selection of hoses and ask to compare the bent rod to their hoses.  Quite often the shape you need is in the middle of a hose.  You buy the hose and cut out the shape you need.  If the hose has the metal spring inside you may need to cut it down also.

LAUDY57

Yup, I had both existing hoses and measurements but couldn't see the right shape or size in any hoses I looked at. My new rad has the inlet further out towards the side of the car so I need to scrounge one with more length and an extra bend in it and I had to add a metal piece to the top hose because I added another temp switch so I could run 2 fan controls. I'll have to try again in the big city next time I go in.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!