News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

need windshield glass measurement.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-03-24 21:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor

I was wrong about the 1959's. I did some more looking, and as you believed Zap, its completely different. Not sure where in the past that I came up with that.

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the link to the YouTube video, Thor. I think I'll give their caulking method a shot...I've already got the material in my shop as I use it on many things. Other than the caulking though, it's pretty much what we were doing earlier this  week when I found out I had the wrong windshield.

Guys, a link to the video. It's a good video on installation of windshields. It's for a trifive Chevy, but their seal/stainless arrangement is very similar to ours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISGs1UAyhY

Larry....Thor is driving down to Amarillo next Friday unless things change. I'll keep you posted if things do change.
I found out Thor has been planning a 4.6 dohc install for a while now, so we've got lots to talk about and see/show when he gets here.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Acrylic man

Rich,    Ok, if anything changes, I'll be ready. Thanks
1957 Fairlane 500 Club Victoria 2dr HT

Acrylic man

I'm still trying to make it to Fort Worth for the Pate swap meet. Do you have anybody you can recommend that specializing in our 57 stuff? Larry

RICH MUISE

Honestly you will probably not find too much stuff there '57 specific....but who knows. Building a fifties Ford unfortunatly(?) isn't like building a Chevy with parts vendors everywhere. Classic Auto Parts from OK City will have a big Ford  booth there, but not too much '57 stuff...mostly older. You can order stuff from them and have it delivered to the swap meet to save freight. Dennis Carpenter will have a booth there, but mainly handing out catalogs, ect. The Bumper Shop (Chrome shop not to be confused with "the Bumper Boys) probably will have some '57 bumpers and posibly a grille or two. The stuff from the bumper shop may/may not be good, so look closely. I looked at bumpers they had there for 3 years running before I found one I was really happy with. Same with the grille. The swap meet is a great place to buy supplies!!and other non model specific stuff. Bring some type of a cart or wagon and some cold drinks, comfortable shoes and a hat. You'll be walking at least 10 miles unless you want to spend 90 bucks to rent a scooter. Be there early and plan on spending the day. Don't forget to check out the car coral..usually a hundred or so cars there.
I'm currently planning on driving down Thursday night with a friend and being there Friday. We should meet up if it works out for the right day.
Rich

RICH MUISE

I got my back window installed last night. It fit like a glove. I kept thinking about Jay saying he did them alone, so after diner I was thinking what the heck...and it was in in about an hour. The 3M strip-caulk worked great(video referenced earlier). Easy, and absolutly no mess on the headliner or anywhere else. I was also pleased with the 3M butyl sealant I used between the glass and the rubber. That stuff does not set up much at all, even after 2 days. That actually works great because you can still shift the seal around on the glass for better conformity. I need to go back and clean up the glass where the stuff oozed from handling, but that's a plastic scrapper and mineral spirits so no biggie. The glass I had gotten about 3 years ago from autocityclassic. It's fit made me feel better about the windshield on it's way from them.
Anyway, it's nice to see shiney grey tinted glass in that hole that's been empty for so many years. After I get it cleaned up and the top ss trim installed, I'll get the fixed rear side windows finally installed permanently.

Ford Blue blood

Good job!  Funny how things we are afraid of turn out to be.....well, how can I say this....just really so stupid easy with just a touch of grey matter!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Thor

Congrats Rich! Sure glad that went well for you.

RICH MUISE

Yeah, I was getting anxious since someone  posted about trouble with autocityclassic glass on a non 57 project. Thor, the corner gaps we were looking at i my shop pretty much disappeared once the rubber was pulled in place over the window flange.
Bill...I forgot to mention I used the Dupont teflon/alcohol as the lubricant instead of soapy water. It was the stuff you had recommended for the cable lubrication. Gotta pick up another bottle before I get to the windshield. It worked pretty well here also.

RICH MUISE

Forgot...Bill, yep...stupid easy. I had the back side glass out on both sides so very little was done from the inside until the seal was pulled over the flange past the upper corners.
Larry/Acrylic Man...I sent a pm about the windshield....did you get it?

Acrylic man

Rich,    Yep, I sent back.
Larry

RICH MUISE

Larry...Nothing in my pm or email. I'll check back later, gotta run some erands and stop by the local glass expert's.

RICH MUISE

Got it, and a pic sent back. My glass guy won't be in his shop until later this afternoon.

RICH MUISE

my back glass. Still need to clean up the inside.

RICH MUISE

I have been working on the side back glass. I had converted the roll-ups to the stationary windows ala business coupe. This has been a total exercise in frustration trying to get the seals to work correctly. What I should have done when I had the glass made was gone to 3/8 thick. The seals are just made wrong...too wide of a glass channel...as far as I'm concerned. Other guys in the past have had the same problem. I cannot get the inside to conform to the glass even after adding a rubber glass edging for shower doors I had picked up from a glass shop. Anyway, I got them put in as best I could yesterday, with messy butyl caulking. They look ok from the outside. I'm going to move on and leave them as is for now, and add them to my list of things to redo after the car is complete. In the future, I will either convert it back to rollups or have 3/8 thick tempered glass made.