News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero tailgate handle

Started by Limey57, 2015-03-27 15:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Mine is a bit pitted with some scratches to the chrome and the emblem is faded/discoloured, this afternoon I screwed it onto the freshly painted tailgate and it looks wrong with all the new chrome work everywhere else!  A quick search has shown up a few N.O.S handles but they're over $750 which I just can't afford.

Has anyone ever stripped and restored their original handle?  Does the emblem come off easy enough and can the handle be re-chromed?  I know some 1950's cast metals don't take kindly to re-chroming so I want to be careful.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

Gary,.. is the unit Pot metal?,A handle should not be, if not I would send it to a capable plater.Sorry,Not familiar with the handle unit itself.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

they're pewter (pot metal), but can be rechromed. I have had several rechromed units, but take care that they don't sand and polish away the details of the F O R D letters. delicate job. the crest is available again, although I think it is 50 or 70$ not cheap. removal of the old crest is easy as you just grind off 2 little rivets (or rather small pewter studs that are hammered down) and it comes off. most probably they will break anyways. you can attach the new crest with modern bonding or as I did with tiny 3mm threads cut into the handle and using small stainless screws. you're gonna run into trouble with the rubber seal that goes around the handle housing. as far as I know there is no reproduction available, so you will have to cut your own from rubber or foam.

KYBlueOval

Just last week I got a quote for replating  a very good Ranchero tailgate handle. This was a in person quote, not a over the phone or Email quote from a photo.  $160.00

Limey57

Thanks, I've had problems re-chroming pot-metal (mazak) door handles before but the metal on these seems much less brittle.  It doesn't look too bad (see photos) but against new paint and re-chromed bumpers it just doesn't cut it.......  There's a big restoration show here tomorrow so I'll take it with me and talk to some of the platers that will be advertising there.

Gary

1957 Ranchero

Mavaholic

The Crest was available years back but every place I checked so far says its discontinued.

djfordmanjack

take this one , guys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-58-FORD-RANCHERO-AND-WAGON-TAIL-GATE-EMBLEM-/231517801312?hash=item35e7894b60&vxp=mtr#ht_25wt_1238

shop has been auctioning these for quite some time, so they should have several.

Gary, there are 3 used handles on epay.com right now, maybe there  is a better one then yours, have a look.

Limey57

Thanks, I emailed the seller of the cheaper one as it looks the best of the lot, I'm waiting to see if he responds about international shipping as the auction lists US only.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Well....... he sent me a message telling me shipping isn't a problem, but he wants $160 shipping plus $80 for the handle.  I can live with the one I've got for a while longer.  I know shipping costs in the US have risen but that is way high.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

Double the price?
that's B.S.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Sandiaman

I have a tailgate handle on ebay. Mine is the one for sale for 150.00. Looks rough in the pics but not much pitting. How much to ship to you from New Mexico? Maybe we can work out the shipping and I can lower the price?

Limey57

Quote from: Sandiaman on 2015-04-03 14:02
I have a tailgate handle on ebay. Mine is the one for sale for 150.00. Looks rough in the pics but not much pitting. How much to ship to you from New Mexico? Maybe we can work out the shipping and I can lower the price?

Thanks, but I've bought the original one and I'm having it shipped to someone I know who is currently in NJ to avoid the postage, he's bringing it back in his suitcase when he returns.

Thanks one & all for the input.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack