News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

5.0 EFI AOD swap

Started by Raven Rider, 2015-04-17 18:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

Please don't shoot me but I have spent the last hour (I'm glad I'm at work and getting paid for this) looking for information on the fuel return line and if I can use a remote fuel pump or do I have to drop the gas tank empty it out and have someone safely weld in a mount for the in tank fuel pump and I guess if I have to go that way a return line welded into the orig tank will be no big deal BUT I do not want to go through all of this.  I'm hoping I can use a frame mounted Fuel Pump and then I can probably find a way to install a return line without dropping the tank.  I need to run both fuel lines in stainless lines, I would not trust the original fuel line.

canadian_ranchero

look at reply 49 on my 4.6 swap.that is what i am doing

RICH MUISE

NiCopp lines are much easier to work, flare, etc and will not corrode.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I am running brake lines in NiCopp now, thanks to the forum. I am having issues finding a decent flaring tool. What are y'all using?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

For the NICopp lines you do not need an expensive one as you would with stainless. I did both my brake and fuel lines with it. I did not want to spend alot of bucks on one since it would be a one job tool. I first went to O'Reilly's to try their loaner, and it was so worn out I had a hard time with it, but didn't know if it was me (never flared anything before), the nicopp, or the tool. I was getting ready to buy an expensive one, when I thought I'd give AutoZone's a try. Their loaner was just about new. Gave them a 28. deposit and was told if I liked it I could just keep it. Worked great, I kept it. 45* double flare. Just remember to lube the flaring tool.
My fuel lines I had to order a 37* flaring tool as no one locally had them. Bought one from Jegs for 40ish. Also worked great.
When I finally got my car running a few months ago, no leaks anywhere including brake and fuel lines.

lalessi1

The O'Reillys here didn't have a loaner so I bought one from them, ElCheapo. I looked online and there were no good reviews on the AutoZone loaner. I tried to use the one I bought and it worked sorta... 4 flares, 4 leaks. I did more online searching. I bought one from Snap On, made by Cal-Vin. It is only for 3/16" line it will be here Friday, we shall see....
Lynn

RICH MUISE

One tip I got that apparently helped...when you do the second operation on the double flare, do not crank the flare tight all the way to the bottom. Just moderate pressure on the handle. That allows the raised conical surface on the mating fitting to actually do the final seating.
Sorry for the hijack, Jerry.

Raven Rider

It's all good you guys can hijack my threads any time