News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

First of all...since these have evolved into build threads, a link to my previous thread mostly on the 4.6 dohc drive train: http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3750.0
List of subject matters on  post 765 http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5795.msg67465#msg67465

A few things finished up lately...
third brake light, front kick panels, getting my replacement windshield ready to go in. I also installed a hidden electronic antenae 'cause I just can't decide on the two rear '56 swept-back antenaes I bough years ago. I'm also working on an electric trunk release. I probably could have made a better choice on the solenoid I got, but I think I can make it work. It's a push type, a pull type would have been easier..duh!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

It looks like its getting pretty close to the end Rich!

Ford Blue blood

Yes...a light at the end of the tunnel...and...it is not an onrushing train.... :003:

Looking very good sir!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Yep, my things-to-do list is getting shorter, but I'm still lots of time and $$ to finish. Hopefully the windshield will be installed this weekend then I can start finishing up the trim around the inside/dash area. After that the front sheetmetal, which I'm not looking forward to. I've got some repainting to do at least on the hood. After some suspension tightening, tires and wheels and shocks, it should be ready for a test drive.
I still have not done anything with the rear end, but that can be done after it's driven a bit.

Aside from being short of cash to finish quickly, Mama is starting to nag a bit about getting back to working on the house..got to replace a flat roof area on the back of the house with a slopped roof, replace a deck, and get the soffit areas all around the house scrapped and painted.That flat roofed area I'm redoing is where the main electrical line to the house comes in, so that's gonna be a pita to work around.
Forgot...I still have the exhaust system to finish up, although I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or bring it to a local custom exhaust shop here in town. I still haven't decided on which mufflers to run...hopefully I'll hear something I like on a 4.6 at shows this summer. I'm realistically still looking at a year or so to finish everything. Maybe next summer I'll get to do some cruse nights or a show.

John Palmer

Rich, I'm sure you have watched the video titled something like, "Is Hot Rodding Dead?" 

Looking at your garage, and the car build progress photos, makes me think about the narration in that video.

Guys going to work with "red eyes in the morning", after working all night building their Hot Rods in their home garages.........Etc.

Slow and steady, and it will get done.

57 imposter

Rich  you have probably answered this before but what did you use for your third brake light? I have studied the back of my car forever and there is just no place to cut one in. The window mount in your picture looks good in fact your whole build is very impressive. I am looking foreword to meeting up with you in Scottsdale again one of these years and seeing the completed car live. 

Limey57

Looking good Rich, but it's this stage where you seem to be spending so much time and money ordering all of those little bits & pieces that you'd either forgotten about or have lost!  I've just ordered a few small bits & pieces and it came to over $150!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Limey57 on 2015-05-08 14:22
Looking good Rich, but it's this stage where you seem to be spending so much time and money ordering all of those little bits & pieces that you'd either forgotten about or have lost!  I've just ordered a few small bits & pieces and it came to over $150!!!!
Yep...started about 8 years ago I think. I just got done ordering a second trunk latch release solenoid because the first one I bought isn't going to work. At the swap meet last weekend, I picked one up, then 1/2 way home I realized it was a push instead of pull type. Probably would have worked had it been built with a metal plunger, but the way I tried to hook it up is binding up the plunger because the cable is pulling it at an angle.

RICH MUISE

John...no red eyes in the morning for me because I spent all night working on the car...I do maybe a few hours a day, then it's time to nap or watch a ball game, lol.
Doug....Yes, another Phoenix meeting would be good. I hope we still have folks to visit out there by the time I'm comfortable with taking the '57 on that long of a drive. We lost Uncle Jack earlier this year, and Aunt Bobbie is in her late 80's.
The 3rd brake light is kinda an ugly one. It's out of a Cadilac, and will be replaced when I find a better looking one, but for now, enough time spent fiddling with an attempted replacement, so time to move on and add it to my redo-it-later list. An inside pic, and the one I was attempting to use/make is sitting on the folded down seat back. I may end up with a billet one.

hiball3985

Looks nice Rich with everything coming together. When you get to the windshield install can you or anyone else explain how the curved corner molding pieces attach? I have one side that is lose and from the diagrams in the shop manual I can't figure out how they attach or are held in place or how to install them. I'm afraid to pull it loose to see what makes it tick, this type of work just isn't my bag, I'd rather pull an engine or trans then a molding  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-05-08 16:23
Looks nice Rich with everything coming together. When you get to the windshield install can you or anyone else explain how the curved corner molding pieces attach? I have one side that is lose and from the diagrams in the shop manual I can't figure out how they attach or are held in place or how to install them. I'm afraid to pull it loose to see what makes it tick, this type of work just isn't my bag, I'd rather pull an engine or trans then a molding  :003:

Jim
     Take notice of that lower right corner of Rich's  stainless where the Gorilla glue is.   You will see holes where  small sheet metal screws hold the SS ends to the body of the car.  Don't pull anything loose.  The  curve  cover pieces snap into place over the ends with a little massaging. 

RICH MUISE

What Jay said. The corner pieces may need some careful massaging with pliers to tighten then up a bit, but they do just snap on as Jay said. When I did my back window, I had to do that to the two top pieces

hiball3985

Thanks Guys,
I understand how it goes over the two moldings at the ends but it appears there is also some kind of clip in the center that goes into the rubber molding that also holds it in place?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Not to my knowledge. If there is, I'm missing them. I'll check my manual...I believe there's a few pages on replacing/installing windshields and back glass.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-05-09 09:29
Not to my knowledge. If there is, I'm missing them. I'll check my manual...I believe there's a few pages on replacing/installing windshields and back glass.
Looked at mine again and from what little I can see by pushing the rubber molding back a little with a screwdriver it appears there are two on the tight side and only one on the loose side. Mine aren't in the best shape as someone has removed/installed them in the past. Maybe they added these clips? It seems like if there wasn't something in the center and only held by a snap fit on the ends the center would be floppy loose?

Update edit:
After finding a picture of the cross section in the manual I see that the corner molding has a lip that goes into the rubber molding and is not a clip. That appears to be my problem, the lip is no longer there or just a small piece on one end is still there. That must have rotted away sometime in the past  :005: I can't see anyway to repair that problem and those corner moldings are probably impossible to find  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang