News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I think the problem all along has been the free length of the Eaton springs. Two of the Factory springs are less than 14" although they are 500 lb/inch springs. If you cut 1/1/2 coils the rate goes to 491 lbs/inch and the installed height goes to 10.4". Now that doesn't match the other numbers but it is because that first coil spacing is not the same as the other ones. I assumed an even coil spacing of 2 5/8" and we know that is not exactly correct. That assumption makes the free lengths shorter than they actually would be. This is where the trial and error effort begins. It looks like you have a good starting point to me. The numbers are simply to give an educated guess as to where to start. My opinion is cut the free length to 14 1/4" if anything it MAY be a little higher than you want.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Agreed.....when it gets done I'll post the results. Thanks a ton Lynn!! At least when I'm done I'll have recorded info on everything to help at least the guys with the 4.6 drivetrain.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

I ordered a set of 1" blocks for the back, and got the springs cut to 14 1/4. Not sure if Kip's shop will be able to get them on in the next week before the Phoenix trip.

rar1947

Rich,
For possible future reference, where'd you end up getting the 1" blocks from? Didn't see it mentioned here and saw you asking around on the hamb as well.

RICH MUISE

I bought the only ones I could find that were close to the 2" width...I called and they told me they were 2 3/16 with a 9/16 pin. I should be able to make those work with a light trimming. They are not solid as I was hoping to find. I probably should have just picked up some 1 x 2 alum bar locally and made them.... depending on how she looks with the next front height adjustment, I may elect not to use them anyway. Just want to have them on hand to get odds and ends finished up before April1.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161388952509?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

RICH MUISE

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
got the cut coils put on today and the ride height is pretty darn close to where I wanted...Maybe as much as an inch higher than I wanted as a "LOW". Right now it's at 14" fender opening to spindle center. I have a 2" rake along the rockers. It looks right. I suspect it'll settle 1/2" or so from where it's at after I get it realigned and can drive it a bit. I'm not going to change the back either. Best part is, the mile or so that I drove it when I picked it up showed an obvious improvement in handling. It feels more like it did when it was too high, but better. It just feels right....both handling and appearance.
The new ride height is currently 2 1/2" higher than the Aerostars with spacer, and 2" lower than with the coils uncut.

hiball3985

AWESOME! Check the clearance now from ground to sway bar. Mine is at 5 1/2" and I'm still hitting parking lot wheel stops  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I was going to measure that before I put it up but I forgot..sorry. Can't measure it where it's at now.

canadian_ranchero

that is good news rich

RICH MUISE

Yep...one pita thing checked off the list.
A pic of the new ride height/rake, and the larger replacement front tires, and one for a visual record of the 14 1/4 coil cut dimension.
Lynn...you were right on....I believe you said something like "should get you pretty close, maybe a little taller if anything". Thanks again.

lalessi1

Great info Rich. The car looks righteous! I think the "numbers" worked out well. :003:
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-02-23 21:36
Yep...one pita thing checked off the list.
A pic of the new ride height/rake, and the larger replacement front tires, and one for a visual record of the 14 1/4 coil cut dimension.
Lynn...you were right on....I believe you said something like "should get you pretty close, maybe a little taller if anything". Thanks again.

Rich.......when you have time can you please summarize all you have here and have done and the resulting "Height Measurements", and sway bar clearances.
Things like , 1 1/2" Drop em Stop em  Spindles,  $*%6 Coil Spring, cut to XX height, wheel specs, tire specs, plus the various heights and clearances. I would appreciate it and I think other would as well.
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

I'm heading to Arizona shortly...will do that when I get there. That request reminded me to bring all my passwords so I can get on my aunt's computer.

hiball3985

That rake looks great to me, that's how I like them. Mine is similar but a little lower due to the 14" wheels and tires..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2016-02-24 06:48
Rich.......when you have time can you please summarize all you have here and have done and the resulting "Height Measurements", and sway bar clearances.
Things like , 1 1/2" Drop em Stop em  Spindles,  $*%6 Coil Spring, cut to XX height, wheel specs, tire specs, plus the various heights and clearances. I would appreciate it and I think other would as well.
Thanks
John

John, I will be happy to do the numbers if I know what you have and what you are looking for. The Aerostar springs I have have my car sitting too low so I will either use spacers or cut my springs.
Lynn