News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rack and Pinion Tie Rods

Started by wighty, 2015-05-14 19:36

Previous topic - Next topic

wighty

Does anyone know what Tie Rods are used in the Wurth-it Design Rack and Pinion Steering Conversion for our 57"s?  I need to replace one of mine.

wildhog

should be a stock 57 Ford tie rod.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

wighty

No they are not stock 57 ford.  They look like an aftermarket product. They are 18" long straight steel tubes that are swagged down on the ends where they are threaded. I know a lot of people on this site have installed the Wurth-it Racks, so I was hoping someone might know where I could purchase this part. With Rick being gone now, I don't know where to go for this information.  I don't think that Rick Wurth was fabricating this part. If I have to, I can make them myself, but I would have to purchase a left hand 5/8-18 tap and so I would rather just buy them if possible. Thanks for responding to my request.

RICH MUISE

Actually I think most of us have the kits done by Wildhog's brother in law(?)...STFabrications, so it would have been my guess that Tom/Wildhog would have had the best info on what Wurthit used, since I was told the two kits were very similar.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wildhog

Wighty, You asked about the tie rods, they are stock Ford's the drag link tubes are custom made, what do you need?
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

BBoswell

I have Wurth-It rack and pinion units on both my Ranchero and my Custom 300. One was purchased about a year before and the other about a month before he passed away. Maybe his older conversions used different tie rod ends but both of my conversions use stock '57 tie rod ends.

wighty

Thanks for all the replies.  Here is a picture of what I am looking for. It is a 7/8" O.D. Steel Tube with the ends swagged down for the 5/8-18 Right and Left Hand threads.  It is about 18" long and has a gold coating on it. I shortened one of the rods just a little too much when I was centering the steering wheel and aligning the front end, so I would like to replace it.

RICH MUISE

Just when I was trying to be good about keeping threads on topic.....what's your suspension?? Any details you'd care to share?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wighty

Thank you 62GALXE.  I didn't know Speedway had such a selection.
Rich, to answer your question, my 57 is basically stock front suspension with the Coil Springs being replaced with Air Ride Technologies Air Shocks. The rear is narrowed Triangulated 9" with Air Ride Tech Air Shocks.  It is kind of fun to be able to set the ride height from almost laying on the ground to a little above stock with the push of a button.