News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vintage Air System

Started by Wirenut, 2015-05-21 20:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Can anyone help with some AC details, I am in the process of ordering a Vintage Air Gen 11 for my 57 Fairlane 500. I want to go with the super option since the car is black on top and I live in south Texas. I have a 302 installed and I am hoping one of you has installed this system with the same in dash application. I called Obsolete Ford Parts and they do not have a kit based on this car but will provide the parts needed. I am curios to see if the large evaporator will fit in the dash and what size condenser is fitted. I think a 17x22 condenser will fit but need to confirm. Any help will be appreciated.

John Palmer

Street Rodder magazine has a Vintage Air 1957 Ford install tech story, in the current July 2015 issue on page 110.  They used the Gen IV evaporator.

RICH MUISE

Ditto...I also used the GenIV, it fits, and I believe it is physically larger than the Gen II. I'm a little confused by your choice though, Kirby, since you mentioned you wanted the best one. I may be wrong, but I believe the GenIV is their biggest output unit. Hard to tell for sure though since none of them give the BTU output as you would find on home A/C units.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

oldave57

I installed the Vintage Air "Slim Line" under-dash unit in my 57 Fairlane 500.  I tried fitting in the in-dash systems but after mocking up the evaporator boxes for these systems, I found that the large boxes really intruded on the passenger foot area and didn't like having to sacrifice the foot space. 

The Slim Line comes with the option of heat, cool, and defrost and that is the system I installed.  I am very pleased with the performance of the unit and the air distribution is spread out fairly well, better than some of the underdash units that have more limited spacing of the air outlets.  I also like the appearance because it seems to "fit in" better than some of the under-dash units.  The heater and defroster work well also, but I seldom drive the car in cold weather.

I used Vintage Air's 14" X 22" condenser and it seemed to fit nicely in the space available and the performance is great.

Good luck with your installation.  I'm sure you will like to have the air conditioning no matter which system you decide to use.

Regards,
Dave

Wirenut

Rich, I didn't realize Gen IV was an option, do you have any part numbers you could share, if your happy with yours I'll go with that. I do want a in dash unit. Thank to each of you for your help

RICH MUISE

Kerby...not sure what you mean by "in dash unit". If you're talking just the evaporator being behind the dash as opposed to the unit oldave posted pics of, then the universal GenIV will fit. Nobody to date (that I've heard of)makes a unit for our '57 Fords that hooks up to factory controls, has in dash vents, etc. We're on our own as to the wheres and hows to put the controls and vents, all the plumbing, etc. If you are running electric cooling fans for your radiator, you will need a trinary switch (not the binary). I got the dryer with the trinary switch.
Allmost everything A/C related on my car was unique to my build because of forward radiator position, OEM ford compressor with springlock fittings, less area to work with under dash because I needed access to my windshield wiper motor from under the dash, wanting to run the bulkhead on the side panel, etc. etc.
They do make a mock up unit for the GenIV evaporator that allows you to get the brackets, etc made before you actually purchase the real thing. It's 60.00 when I got mine, and is returnable for a refund when you buy the unit. I kept mine and have been letting friends borrow it...it's currently in Phoenix (RavenRider)...I'm not sure if Jerry is done with it or not.
I lost tract of what point your  build was at regarding assembly, so alot of how I'd approach the project would be based on what stage your actually at.

Wirenut

Thanks gentlemen,I picked up the street rodder magazine and will get with vintage air. The article will help a lot. I thought you might have a part number for the condenser and evaporator but with vintages help and what you guys have posted with the magazine I can make it happen. It does look as though they put a larger unit in the article than I need since it is a station wagon. God speed fellow ford enthusiast./

RICH MUISE

I went with the largest condenser I could fit on there...as per their recommendations. That was one of the reasons I asked about the build stage/assembly. The larger condenser is more work/expense installing if your radiator/core support positioning won't allow you to drill thru the side walls of the core support to get the hoses on the engine side of the core support. My radiator was mounted forwards of normal position(for more engine room), so I had no choice but to work from the front side of the core support, coming thru under the hinges. The problem with that is, I had to buy a special, expensive right angle fitting to mount to the core support to clear the hinge bracket itself.
I know this sounds confusing. I did see someone's post (or maybe that instalation article)where they used a condenser that had right angle fittings built into it...If I was aware of the no-room-to-work problem, that's the way I would have gone. I can look up the size/number of the one I went with if you need. but I seem to remember it was the next to the largest one they offered.

Wirenut

The condenser vintage is recommending is 17x22 and that about all of the airflow area I have. I know with 134a the bigger the better. I have pretty much decided to go with the Gen.IV and the condenser stated. They are telling me that is what they are putting in the 57 Chevys. I will have to remove my grill and valance since the car is closed to being finished but that will not be the first  or last thing on that car I have redone. It does look like a lot of work but since they are in San Antonio I can be at their facility in 20 minutes and they said I could bring it in and they'd help help me with mock up so might just do that. Well worth 59 bucks. Thanks rich for all of your input and help.

Partsman

Rod & Custom had an article about installing Vintage Air in a Ranchero sometime back before they folded.
It was discussed several times and also had the article posted on here.  It went into better detail than the Street Rodder article.

John Palmer

Quote from: Partsman on 2015-05-23 18:51
Rod & Custom had an article about installing Vintage Air in a Ranchero sometime back before they folded.
It was discussed several times and also had the article posted on here.  It went into better detail than the Street Rodder article.

I agree that the Rod and Custom has been the most informative 1957 Ford/Vintage Air article so far.  It's in the July 2012 issue, and yes, someone was kind enough to post it on this site somewhere.

Wirenut

I ordered the Gen IV system, looks like most of the glove box is sacrificed but better to have cold air than storage. I picked up the Street Rodder magazine and will get the august edition for the 2nd part of the install, thanks to all for you input and recommendations.

Kenny

I have a 57 Custom 300 and did a swap last fall to a built 302 fuel injected motor with AOD behind it.  At the same time I decided to also install AC and selected a company called Classic Auto Air.  They offered a unit designed for a 56 that fits behind the dash and uses the original heater controls which are very similar to the 57.  I have installed it all and after some small mods to the heater switch and air controls it fits and works fine so far.  I have not charged it yet as th car is about a week away from driving.  Is am also hoping to get it done in time for the Back to the Fifities show in Minneapolis later in June.  For AC outlets I reconfigured the Center ashtray into a double outlet and run 2 eyeball outlets on either end of the lower dash.  I did have to fabricate the mounts for the evaporator unt but that was not bad.  If anyone is interested I can post pics or and a personal email.  I use a chrome Sanden compressor and a condenser supplied by Classic Auto.  Check out the website and you will see th install for th 56 Ford.

Kenny

I have a 57 Custom 300 and did a swap last fall to a built 302 fuel injected motor with AOD behind it.  At the same time I decided to also install AC and selected a company called Classic Auto Air.  They offered a unit designed for a 56 that fits behind the dash and uses the original heater controls which are very similar to the 57.  I have installed it all and after some small mods to the heater switch and air controls it fits and works fine so far.  I have not charged it yet as th car is about a week away from driving.  Is am also hoping to get it done in time for the Back to the Fifities show in Minneapolis later in June.  For AC outlets I reconfigured the Center ashtray into a double outlet and run 2 eyeball outlets on either end of the lower dash.  I did have to fabricate the mounts for the evaporator unt but that was not bad.  If anyone is interested I can post pics or and a personal email.  I use a chrome Sanden compressor and a condenser supplied by Classic Auto.  Check out the website and you will see th install for th 56 Ford.