News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Generator to Alternator

Started by sprink88, 2015-05-24 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

tidewater dave

Quote from: oldave57 on 2015-05-25 09:50
When I installed my 1-Wire alternator, I left the voltage regulator in place just as it was, but disconnected and tied back the wire harness that had been connected at the generator.  I wrapped each of the leads (Field, Ground, and Output) individually and then wrapped them together and tied them back to the frame just in case I would ever want to re-install the generator (doubt if that will ever happen).  The regulator can just sit there and not have any effect on the rest of the wiring.

The only connection needed from the alternator is to add a supply wire (need something with good size gauge such as #6) from the alternator to the battery side of the starter solenoid.  The alternator has its own internal regulator and nothing else is needed.

You will lose your generator light with this setup, however.  I added a digital voltmeter which I like much better than the light because it gives much more information. 

Good luck with your installation.  Mine has worked very well and I really like the output of the alternator, particularly since I added air conditioning and electric cooling fan at the same time.

Regards,
Dave