News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

hood safety catch

Started by FORDNUT, 2015-06-02 07:47

Previous topic - Next topic

FORDNUT

I just bought a Custom 300 and the hood safety catch is missing. I need just the hook and spring piece that bolts to hood.(bolts also if you have them) Thanks
At my age I am not required to act mature.

RICH MUISE

If you're still looking, I've got one I had taken apart to clean up and repaint. I couldn't find a rivet that I could get a good peen on, so I tried making one by drilling out a solid rivet...it's together, but the rivet has some cracks where it was peened over. I can post a pic if you want, or just pm me your address and I'll mail it off to you. I thought about replacing the rivet with a shoulder screw/nut.
I found a nos one on ebay, btw.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Here's some pics, Bob. The one on the left is my NOS latch...you can't have that one, lol. The one on the right is my original, taken apart, sandblasted and painted (not plated). The spring is still good. You can also see my failed attempt at reriveting. The riveting is harder to do than appears..peening the rivet without tightening up the outer bracket on the hook so it still operates smoothly is not an easy chore. I tried drilling the rivet out hoping to weaken the remaining wall enough to be peened over without getting too tight on the outer bracket. I was a little surprised at the lack of malability of the rivet I found.
In retrospect, I could have drilled and tapped the rivet's shank, shortened it so it was protruding just a tad, and used a button head screw. A shoulder screw would also work if you can find one with the right dimensions, or a regular bolt with a bushing.
Price...nothing for me, and I'll cover shipping also. If you can, just make a small donation to the forum, amount of your choosing...I don't even need to know how much

FORDNUT

Will do first thing tomorrow.

RICH MUISE

Bob, I forgot...I normally ask to wait until after you receive it, that way there's no problems on my end if it gets lost or damaged in the mail. PM me your address

FORDNUT

On it's way. Thanks

RICH MUISE

It's on it's way....Postman said Tuesday.

FORDNUT

Got it today Rich. Looks good enough for me. I don't do the trailer queen thing. Thanks a ton and I'll take care of the donation. I might be back looking for a sway bar if the deal I've got going doesn't work.

RICH MUISE