News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

5.o swap return fuel line question

Started by Raven Rider, 2015-06-17 14:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

It seems to me I could eliminate the return fuel line if I used a fuel pump supplying 88 - 100 PSI and had a regulator before the engine and maybe a small fuel tank (1/2 to 1 gallon) just before the fuel rail to keep the motor from starving for fuel.  Would this work ok if not why does this install need to return line

Ford Blue blood

The amount of gas needed for the correct air/fuel varies with load.  The injectors use more or less as the computer commands.  The excess gas needs to go someplace, return it to the tank.  It also keeps cool fuel at the injectors on the fuel rail.  Later non-return systems use a modulated pump to control available fuel to the injectors.

Remember, car companies pay a butt load of money to the engineers to figure this stuff out.  It has been my experiance that they do a pretty good job for the most part.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Raven Rider

I read that Ford and most car companies are now using a single fuel line because the returning gas from the engine has been heated up to the point that it can cause the gas in the tank to rise in temperature and that will cause more emissions.  I read that in 1999 or 2000 ford swapped to a single line.  2000 F150 has no return line so if I could use a 2000 5.0 fuel rail and the in tank pump I think it would work OK.  I guess it would be less work to just run a second fuel line. 

Ford Blue blood

But you will need to use a computer that is used in a returnless system.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Raven Rider

DANG I didn't think of that.  I guess I need to find a 2000 F150 5.0 with all of the "stuff" to make the swap.  That might be cheaper than a 5.0 Mustang motor due to the popularity of the Mustang engine

Ford Blue blood

But then you may have a "PATS" problem.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Raven Rider

Well I found a 94 5.0 from a mustang with 77K miles with everything I need to swap out my carb 302.  I bought it and now I'm looking for a AODE trans and 8.8 rear.  My question is are all AODE trans the same ie the engine is from a mustang will a lincoln trans work or will my computer freak out?

Ford Blue blood

Just need to look at where the speed sensor is.  Some EAODs do not have the speed-o drive gear, don't remember when they stopped putting them in.....now having said all of that, most all will bolt up.  Hint, 3.6 V-6 autos have the same bell pattern as the 5.0, are the same tranny as the 5.0 but cost a lot less.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero