News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tubular Control Arms.

Started by 57tudor, 2015-06-23 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic

57tudor

Lynn.

I resent the email through the club. I was unable to attach the pics to the message sent. The pics are the same as posted above.

Rick.

57tudor

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update you on my project. At this point I have finished the power steering pump bracket, made my shims, assembled the pump and installed the pulley. Night before last I got that assembly on the engine. I'm moving the radiator and shroud forward for some additional clearance. I remember the thread here about slotting the core support and moving the radiator forward, couldn't fine the thread but I went ahead and made the modification and it works well. I have one more idler pulley to install and the belt as soon as they arrive from Summit racing so I will post a pic when that is completed. Can't wait to get the rest of the system installed but Christmas is closing fast and I have til April to complete. I'm doing my homework in regard to the sway-bar so that is yet to come.

Marry Christmas to all

Rick.
:unitedstates:

I just added another Pic with the pump installation completed, radiator and fan shroud back in.

RICH MUISE

Over the top, as usual, Rick. Thanks for the updates, and keep them coming!! PS...ask Bob to update us on his...it's been a while. How is it you have until April, btw...don't you SoCal guys show year round?
Edited to eliminate the hijack..got the info, thanks Rick.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

Just curious, did you check the  weight savings between the factory control arms vs the tubular arms?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

57tudor

Hi Guys,

Rich, I was with Bob Lee the other day and mentioned that the forum members were wondering how the car was coming along and I see that he did the update. Its getting close but there is still a lot to do before he has it back on the road.

Our off season is from November to April as both Bob and I do a ton of shows and need the brake, although having said that, Bob will hit a Christmas show or two and in February, Hillco Fasteners has a super bowl Sunday car show that we go to. 

57meteor, I didn't weigh the old control arms or the new ones, but I can tell you that I was surprised how light the new arms were compared to the old ones. Now you got me wondering with the weight difference is....Hummmm.

Rick,

57tudor

Hi Guys,

The project is done. Here is the steering column build. After shortening the column tube and obtained the bearing for the cut end, I put the bearing in the freezer over night, heated the cut end over my stove and dropped the bearing in the tube. After all had cooled and the bearing was checked and lubed, then came the paint. After I got the Borgson P/S unit mounted on the chassis, I was able to make the final cut to the 58 shaft I got from Steve Pearce. Welded and pined the adapter to the shaft, made and installed a sleeve on the shaft to support the column, and completed the assembly and installation of the column. The rubber floor seal was replaced while I had things apart, and I made my own boot from the same interior fabric to cover the end of the column.  All I need to do yet is to install my horn button to the steering wheel. I have attached the steering column detentions for this project.

Page 1 for the pic,s

Rick
57 Tudor

57tudor

Page 2 for the pic's

Column installed with my new column to dash clamp..

57tudor

Here is the Power Steering Cooler installed.

57tudor

The next 2 pic's are of the Borgson steering unit. The pitman arm is my original arm and no longer comes in their kit. You can see the shaft adapter installed as well. I made all my pressure and return lines as this is a one off project and the hose kit offered by Borgson was not doable.

57tudor

Hi Guys,

Last night I finished up the sway bar installation. I went with the Coucours front kit. I made some changes with my installation.  The parts kit comes with 2 half inch tall spacers that separate the bushings where the arm and lower control arm come together. In my case, having the tubular control arms, the mounting bracket on my lower control arm is thicker then the hole used in the stock control arms. So I swapped them out for a pair if 1/4" spacers that I had and that worked well. Next I raised the two brackets that mount to the frame 5/8" and installed them between the two brackets that hold the bumper in place. What this did by doing this is it moved the large bushings inward 1/4" as I found both bushings we right at the turning point of the sway bar and was distorting the edge of the bushings when the L brackets as they call them were installed to the outside of the bumper brackets as noted in the instructions. This worked well as the brackets at the bumper are slotted for adjustment. The last thing I did was to swap out all the nuts and bolts to all stainless. I hate rust and was well worth the $18.00 bucks spent.

Rick
57 Tudor

Pg.1 for the pic's

57tudor

Pg.2 for the pic's

RICH MUISE

As usual, Rick...better than well done. Thanks for taking the time to post the info. Interesting you got the sway bar brackets in between the bumper brackets.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57tudor

Hi Guys,

Got the horn button together the other day. I had rewired the horn relay lead that at one time went through the center of the  steering shaft. I ran it up to the point where the turn signal harness ends at the bullet connectors under the dash and install a bullet connector at that point, then ran it through the turn signal harness and then around where the switch is housed and out where the shifter pivot hole is. I install a button on the steering wheel and installed some curly wire from the steering wheel to the back of the switch housing and all is done and works bitchen. The second to last this I did yesterday was get the alignment done. I had the caster and camber spot on and they only had to set the toe. Needless to say it drives bitchen. All thow, I find myself wanting to drive it like I did when it had manual steering with the small wheel and must retrain myself to get used to the new power steering. Last thing to do is put the hood back on. Had a guy get out of his car at a stop light when I was coming home from the alignment shop and looked at the engine. Gave me the thumbs up.

Rick.
57 Tudor