News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

oem wheel width?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-07-29 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

Thanks Rich. I checked out the posts, and Jim Nolan found the Monroe matic 31125 shock that fits a 55 Ford increased the travel length. I will check into that. Good luck in getting your wheel shipped.

lalessi1

Quote from: clusterbuster on 2015-09-07 18:46
I am jacking it from the bottom of the frame. Do you think the rear shocks I am running with the coil spring on them are not allowing the rear housing to come down quite far enough? Measuring from the tire sidewall to the inner quarter flange, I have 2 5/8 inches. Measuring from the edge of the rim to the inner quarter flange, I have 3 3/4 inches. Didn't give any thought about shocks until you mentioned it.

The best way to check and see if longer shocks will give you more tire changing clearance is to disconnect them. I have 15 x 7/ 4.25 BS-225/60 tires and they BARELY fit with Gabriel Hijackers shocks. I am considering earlier spec longer air shocks for wider tires. I think 15" wheels give more clearance for tire changes than 14".
Lynn

hiball3985

Just for reference, this fix using the 55 shock can't be used on Ranchero/Wagons, the shock top mounting is different.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Wheels....when I decided on the Rocket Igniters, I wasn't aware they had a wheel visualizer, never mind one that actually has a 57 Ford! Two actually, a satin black Custom 2 dr and a Fairlane Satin Black 2 dr htp.
http://www.rocketracingwheels.com/wheel_visualizer.php
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Thor

Rich,
Did you notice on the visualizer the Fairlane 500 had a 1958 Fairlane Hood?

RICH MUISE

Hey Thor...how are ya?
Yeah...I noticed one of them did.....and I'm not even going to tell them a Custom is not a submodel of the Fairlanes, lol...at least they got our Fords on there. It's surprising how many people call a Custom a Fairlane.

Thor

Rich,
I was at a car show once (15 years or so ago) with a couple of guys talking about a 1957 Ford Custom parked next to a "Custom stretched 1957 Ford" and all the work that must have gone into getting it done. It was a 1957 Fairlane in primer with no chrome or emblems  :-\.

RICH MUISE

Funny...sounds like something I'd do. At the Pavilion in Phoenix, I was looking at a gorgeous 50ish "mercury" thinking about how much work it was to do all the subtle mods. Then I realized it was a Hudson.