News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door latch assemblies

Started by Ecode70D, 2015-07-30 06:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Thanks to Rich, I'm all set with my door latch issues and my doors work perfectly.  Now I'm just curious.  Will the door latch assemblies from a 59 Ford fit a 57?   My guess is that they will but I'm not positive.  Someone here should know for sure.         

RICH MUISE

?? Can't help on that one, but I do know '57 Mercury latches are different, but adaptable to the '57 Fords with 3 modifications....a spacer to keep the latch's starwheel from protruding more than the '57's, a change of direction in the way the lock/unlock rod pulls, and an added bolt so  the '57's door latch release button reaches.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

57-58 Front door latches are the same.
59 Car and 61-63 T-Bird front door latches same.
Rear door latches are different than the front.

Ron.

Ecode70D

Thanks Ron
    That's exactly what I needed to know. I was also wondering about the back door latches so you answered that question too.  Jay

RICH MUISE

I'm not sure how to construe what your saying, Ron...I read what you said as '59 latches are the same as 61-63 T-Bird, but different from 57-58.??

SkylinerRon

Rich, You are correct sir.

Ron.

57chero

I have found the rear door latches are the same, At least on the Fairlane 500 body style they have a added piece that is screwed on to adapt to the rear door mechanism take that off and they exactly the same. I saved them off the cars I parted out because they get little use and are usually nice and tight. I used a pair on my ranchero and they work beautifully. 

djfordmanjack

that is a very interesting information !

RICH MUISE

As hard as driver's side latches are to find, I'm shocked that was never brought up before.....I just never looked because I was always hearing they were different.

SkylinerRon

That is interesting, they are in a completely different number series in the parts books.
We just never bothered with back doors on parts cars. Could have had a pile of them...

Ron.