News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Interesting info on disc brakes

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-08-20 09:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I think I need to  change the studs on my disc brake rotors to something 1/4" or so longer for the aftermarket wheels. Can't anything be simple??? I wanted to order the new lugs so I'd have them when I pulled the rotor. I called Dave at drop n stop to see if he knew what the lug lengths were on the rotors he supplied with the kit I got from him way back. Apparently there are over a hundred different lug choices with different designs for the shank and heads. The rotors he sells are supplied to him with the studs assembled, but he has found different stud designs installed(rotors drilled for ) on the same pn rotors. The only way to know for sure is to remove a lug from the rotor and mic it to insure the shaft/head design is identical. Obviously there could be installation/safety issues. Dave said the variation is so widespread, he'd even pull a stud from each of the two rotors he supplied to see if they are the same.
Also, while I had Dave on the phone, I asked him about the amount of drop on the spindle kits. We had this discusion here on the forum in the past with differing opinions on what was available. Most guys, me included, have a 2 1/2 drop. Dave did confirm that he can make the kits with two choices of drop height 1 1/2 or 2 1/2.
Drop n stop sells a kit for converting the rears to discs, but I ran across a really good thread on the Hamb by Iamflashman (member here as well..Pat's brother..haven't seen a post from him in years) on using the Explorer disc brakes from a salvage yard. Iamflashman (James?)said on the Hamb thread that he had a thread here as well, but I couldn't find it.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/9-inch-rear-disc-brake-installation.569272/
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Thor

RICH MUISE

I had forgotten about that thread, but it's not the one mentioned by Iamflashman....I'll search a little later.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe