Front brake hose and fittings and the big nut on the wheel cylinder

Started by Johnny DelRey, 2015-08-30 12:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny DelRey

I'm doing my front brakes and a previous owner had taken apart the passenger side over 10 years ago and let it sit outside exposed. I am having trouble getting the big nut off that holds the wheel cylinder on. I figure Ill just have to work on it. Lots a penetrating oil and patience. The driver side isn't going much better. Any other suggestions? But my main question is if there is a part missing between the flexible brake hose and the steel line that runs back to the T on the driver side. There is a T on the driver side for the the line to go to the rear brake and the passenger side. On the passenger side, I have the hose and the steel line is about 2 inches away from the hose. It looks like something is missing. Is there a fitting similar to the driver side or is my steel line just sort? A good picture would be invaluable. Thanks

RICH MUISE

Are the mounting brackets still in place riveted to the topside of the frame behind the control arms? That's where the flex and steel lines join, so they can be used to determine what the lengths of each line should be. All my oem brake stuff was removed years ago with the changeover to discs, so I'm just going on an old memory.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

The brake hose should be attached to the steel bracket mentioned by Rich by a square shaped clip with a "U" that pops into the groove in the metal end of the brake hose.  This clip secures the end of the hose to the bracket where it attaches to the metal brake tubing.  These clips should be available at any good auto parts store.