News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

exhaust system routing

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-08-30 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Anybody got good pics on how/where they routed their dual exhaust? I've got mine done just past the H pipe, and have been looking at muffler shapes. They are close in towards the tranny right now, probably a foot or so apart. I'm 90% sure I'm going with oval Magnaflow mufflers, and I'm thinking I need to go to an offset inlet/offset offset outlet to get the back exhaust pipes out closer to the sides of the car. What have you guys done?
I'm not asking about sound here...most everybody's engine is different from mine, but as long as I mentioned it, a talk with my local custom exhaust shop suggested I may want to consider magnaflows over flowmasters after I mentioned to him I wanted to eliminate as much drone inside the cabin as posible. I've heard too many guys complain about their loud exhaust getting to them on long trips. Also this You Tube video comparing the flowmasters to the magnaflows on a Mustang GT with basically the same engine as mine.....I definetly prefer the Magnaflows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ps8IDlHyfI
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich when the exhaust went on the 57 wagon the pipes whet down along side the drive shaft, muffles (Thrush Turbos) were up in the rear seat "bump" just behind the foot wells, up over the axle and over the spring just forward of the shackles to exit in the rear outboard area just in front of the bumper.  No tips visible looking at the car from ground level.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Hadn't really though too much about the routing...was waiting to get underneath and study what's there. ....
"over the springs just forward of the shackles"....so, between the springs and the frame? I guess I also.have a spare tire thingy to work around that you didn't

lalessi1

Lynn

Sandiaman

Mine has a heat shield under the driver's seat. Something to consider when you figure out where you want them. Those floorboards can get warm.

RICH MUISE

57AGIN

Rich:

I don't know if the two pages from my original build book can help, but I've attached them.  They may be too small to see anything useful.  Good luck.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Plenty big enough. Thanks for posting, Bob. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Raven Rider

57agin that is a beautiful exhaust you have there did Doug's Headers do your install and where are they located?

57AGIN

Raven Rider:

I had them done by Doug Thorly's shop in Anaheim back in 2004.  This was before he moved to Riverside and ultimately sold his business.  I'm still running the Flowmaster mufflers they installed underneath the rear seat.  The headers and exhaust system were all ceramic coated when installed and other than replacing the electric exhaust cutouts a couple of times because the car sat too low originally they are the same now.  However while the car is apart at this time I decided to have the Tri-Y headers themselves re-ceramic coated both inside and out and have them polished.  I think they turned out pretty good.

Bob
57 AGIN

rmk57

Did Dougs headers used to on Whittier Blvd. in East L.A.?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

rmk57:

Yes, I believe so.  When I was in my teens, I used to go to Lions on the weekends as a spectator and Doug Thorly (sp?) was running a really hot Chevy.  I'm not really sure where his original shop was.  I do know that in 2004 he was located in Anaheim, just North of the 91 Freeway at Brookhurst.  That was where I had my system installed. 
Bob
57 AGIN

rmk57

As a kid I worked at a motorcycle dealership about two blocks away and remember a funny car always parked out in the garage area along with other race cars. The bike dealership was the 6000 block.

That place and Stick city,the used hipo car dealer in La Habra is where I started getting a liking for cars.

Nice exhaust Btw, I like the flanges over the rear end housing. Must make it easier to remove when you don't have a hoist.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

rmk57:

Yes, whenever I want to get access to the underside of the car or lose a bunch of pounds I'm able to unbolt the system one piece at a time.  This was a big help when I last towed the 57 to Fontana in 2009.  I unbolted everything back of the collectors and lost about 75-100 lbs.  It does take a while though, especially when working without a hoist. lol

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-08-31 18:07
Hadn't really though too much about the routing...was waiting to get underneath and study what's there. ....
"over the springs just forward of the shackles"....so, between the springs and the frame? I guess I also.have a spare tire thingy to work around that you didn't

Yup, plenty of room as the spring does not move up hardly at all.  Thing to think about, with the stock exhaust manifolds, no cats and no mods to the motot a 2 1/4" system will do just fine and eliminate many fitment issues.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II