News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear disc brake conversion

Started by clusterbuster, 2015-09-03 14:43

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

I am going to need a winter project to keep me busy, so I am thinking about converting my rear brakes to disc. One company I contacted said their kit will not work with 14 inch wheels that my car is running. Has anyone done a rear conversion using 14 inch wheels, or if not, can someone recommend what particular 15 inch wheel should I be using if I have to go the 15 inch route? Going to 15 inch would mean buying all new rims and tires, as I would not want to haul around two spare tires in the trunk. Thanks in advance.

RICH MUISE

I am waiting for an Alburquerqe guy to call me back on pricing for alot of rear end mods. One of them is a disc brake conversion that he designed using a Gm style caliper. Available with and without parking brake, but our e-cables will require lengthening to work. The parking brake is within the caliper, and is not the mini-drum type. I asked to make sure there would be no fitment problems within my new 15" wheels, and he replied that he designed the setup to fit inside 14" rims.
I'd call and get some specifics....and buy them. You can be my guinea pig!!
Only down side(for me) is they are not bolt on, and the bracket has to be welded on after the rear end is in the car, so your welding has to be good enough to weld 1/4 plate to 5/16.
this is his craigslist ad that Sandiaman posted the link to:
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pts/5143567314.html
his name is Tom, 502 269 4474
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

clusterbuster

Thanks Rich. I will give him a call one of these days. You sure find out ,and know a lot about these 57's. Your build is beautiful.

clusterbuster

Just a note. One seller tells me that their product requires 15 inch steel wheels, but you can use a 14 inch  aluminum mag wheel for disc brakes with their kit.

clusterbuster

For anyone that needs this information, I am running front disc brakes with 14 inch wheels. The calipers are 90"s GM S-10 2  wheel drive truck, the rotors are 68 Mustang, and the hoses are from some sort of Cadillac. Can't remember which model, but I could look it up. The wheels are brand new 14x7 that fit the 1980 Ford Granada. My 205/75/14 tires fit the rims nicely.This set up works out real well. There is a spacer that has to be used on the spindle in order to use the Mustang rotors.

clusterbuster

Rich, I called Tom concerning the rear disc brake conversion, and he said his brackets are only the weld on type for all applications. I declined his kit, and decided to buy the bolt on kit with the emergency brakes built into the calipers. Also ordered two new 15x7 wheels to change over. What size  15 inch tires are most running with the rear disc set up? A tire guy told me today that  a close match to my 14's on the front would be the 205/70/15's. I am running 205/75/14's on the front with disc brakes. Thanks.   Don

RICH MUISE

Which bolt on kit are you getting? Pricing?
I didn't mind so much the weld-on bracket, if they didn't have to be welded on with the rear end installed. I would have considered it should I end up having him do the rest of the work if he could have installed them.

clusterbuster

Ordered on E-Bay from Tomsclassic. The kit is for the small bearing rear end. Large bearing rear takes a different kit. Parking brake cables included with the rest of the kit. Cost me $299.00 for the kit and another $50.00 for the shipping. His kit was the best price I found. Other kits had the same items and any where from $50.00-$100.00 more. I have my car all ready to install the kit, and I got an email this morning that the wheels will be here tomorrow via UPS from Summit That will give me plenty of time to paint them before the kit gets here next week. What size 15" tires are you running on the back Rich?

RICH MUISE

235-70/15's
Here's the link to a neat conversion thingy if you want to play with tire sizes:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

clusterbuster

Thanks Rich. That tire conversion thingy is really neat.

RICH MUISE

I thought it was...it helped me figure out what the tire designations actually meant. Note also the speedometer reference if you want to change tire sizes.

clusterbuster

Rear disc brake kit came today via Fedex. The new rear calipers come from 79-85 Caddie Eldorado and the rotors are from the 79-81 Trans Am. According to the instructions, it doesn't look too bad of a job to install. They say if your axle flange that your wheel bolts to is over 6 1/8" in diameter, it will have to be machined down to at least 6 1/8". Mine looks to be right at 6". I did notice one thing I feel they forgot, in that when the rotor is installed over the wheel studs, there is not enough length to get a full nut when tightening the wheel down. That's a simple fix by installing longer studs in the axle flange.

RICH MUISE

Let us know what you think about the kit when you get 'er done! I checked their ebay store and couldn't find the kit...closest thing was for a Bronco small bearing with a 5 @ 5 1/2 lug pattern. Got a part number?

clusterbuster

Rich, login on to EBay and do a search at the top for Ford 8" or 9" small bearing rear disk brake conversion 350441305165. Select EBay motors at the right top where you would select the category. You should be able to get it with no problem.

RICH MUISE