News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Going to try real hard to document the build here.  Not sure if this is the right thread but here it goes.....The built 351C/AOD and the 64 Galaxie box were the first.  Had to modify the trans mount, more on that when it is installed.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

Next the wheels need to turn without getting out and kicking the tires....a 62 T-Bird column is modified to fit to the brake pedal assembly.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

The perfect title for the thread.......THE BILL BUILD...... Now this's gonna be good!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Looking forward to updates on this.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Slow progress.  Killed the right vent to make room for the HVAC unit.  Removed the flange the vent hangs on and fabed a cover to weld over the hole.  Have no decided on heat and A/C line runs yet so the stock heater hole will remain empty for now.  Pretty much decided to weld up ALL he holes in the fire wall them poke new ones as needed.  Made some "nuts" to weld into the holes in the frame where four of them had rusted out.  Welded washers to 5/16 nuts, ground them flat, slotted the hole in the frame and welded them in.  See how good they are when the cross member goes in!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

What's your engine going to be? One thing I wished I had done when I smoothed off my firewall was to eliminate part or all of the pinch weld seam running across the firewall.
Never mind on the enjin' question...reread your opening post...duh!!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2015-09-15 10:17
Slow progress.  Killed the right vent to make room for the HVAC unit.  Removed the flange the vent hangs on and fabed a cover to weld over the hole.  Have no decided on heat and A/C line runs yet so the stock heater hole will remain empty for now.  Pretty much decided to weld up ALL he holes in the fire wall them poke new ones as needed.  Made some "nuts" to weld into the holes in the frame where four of them had rusted out.  Welded washers to 5/16 nuts, ground them flat, slotted the hole in the frame and welded them in.  See how good they are when the cross member goes in!
Are you aware that "Street Rodder" magazine did a two part series on installing a Vintage Air unit in a '57 Ford wagon. Very good article. Addressed the hose routing, unit mounting, a neat modification to the defroster duct work, etc.. It was covered in the July and August, 2015 issues. Might be able to look at it on line. Otherwise I'm sure you can buy previous issues by calling them.
FYI..........as Rich knows, I'm also building a Ranchero. Taking me a while to get going, but it is going. Still chasing down some odds and ends parts. Please keep posting updates, as I learn something new each time I look at these updates.
John

Ford Blue blood

Yes, read it with interest, have both issues.  I'm playing with the idea of running the lines as much out of sight as I can.  Just not sure it would be maintenance friendly.

Good day yesterday.  Got the cross member modified.  Decided the original set up was not maintenance friendly and need something different.  Found a 2000 Explorer 2 wheel drive transmission mount would bolt up to the 93 AOD.  Had to move the mount holes on the cross member out 3/8" and filled the old ones.  Got the emergency brake system cleaned up, painted and working as it should.  The repairs to the chassis for mounting the cross member worked out perfectly.  All of it bolted up as if it were stock.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Partsman

Rod & Custom had a much better install article on a Ranchero before they folded.  More in depth and better pics. It was mentioned here before.  If you need the article or which issue's it was in let me know.
Hope this helps.
Bill

Partsman

The article I am referring to is July 2012.
Bill

BWhitmore

Bill - I installed the Vintage Air Mark IV unit in my Ranchero with the Sanden compressor (312) and it worked out great.  Like you, I did need to remove and block off the left air duct.  As you know the Mark IV unit is an under dash unit that very much resembles a 1950-60's style.  I was able to retain the stock heater and routed the AC lines using an aluminum bulk head fitting available from Vintage Air.  The components in the Mark IV unit are quality and include the evaporator, expansion valve, blower and blower speed/temp controls all built into one unit.  It includes adjustable brackets to hang it under the center of the dash. 

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Partsman on 2015-09-16 14:03
The article I am referring to is July 2012.
Bill
Thanks..........just bought the July 2012 issue on E-Bay.
John

Ford Blue blood

Thanks guys for the info.

Got the naked dash back in and the column hung.  Very happy with the results.  The wheel is 1 1/2" close to the dash then stock.  I did want it closer but the final location was half luck and half planning.  Sometimes it is good to be lucky!

Going to start the gas tank, found a 93 - 96 F150 rear tank will work out fine.  There will be a bunch of fab work....but....I do have more time then money....the floor pans, lower fender patches and rockers will eat a bunch of my "car money"!

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

Looking good, there Bill.  That is about the way mine looks.  I used a 63 Marauder box and column in mine, same as Galaxie.  This is a good idea for a build thread.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

Looking awesome Bill!,I am excited for you

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com