News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Bill...in hindsight, I wish I had just run the A/C bulkhead on the firwall. The fenders (unless I make a removable cover) didn't hide the lines as much as I had hoped, so the firwall entrance would have worked as well. I'm just gonna have to keep my fingers crossed on the maintenance...I sure don't want to pull that fender off!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Right now I am leaning on the firewall although running out the kick panel area is very much on the table.

Got the tank install nearly finished.  My measurements turned out to be good!  A little more research on tanks would have shown the rear tank for a 77 would have a small opening for the sender vice the large EFI pump equipped 93 - 96 F150 tank.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

Cut out the spare tire well, made supports and hangers, used the stock Ranchero straps by straightening, shortening and re-bebding to shape.  Hung the supports in the opening and then fit the tank.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Still have some trimming to do and run the fill to the stock location and run a vent line from the rollover fitting (hole in the center top of the tank).  It is in there solid, does not hit or rub on anything and alomst looks at home.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Nicely done, Bill. Stupid question...where in the Ranchero was the original tank? Behind the seat?For some reason I thought it was where the spare tire well was.

JPotter57

It was underneath the spare tire well, Rich.  That's why, that and the side fuel inlet tube, that the Custom and Fairlane tank won't work.  Awesome parts swapping there, Bill.  Fits like it was made for it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-09-19 17:40
Bill...in hindsight, I wish I had just run the A/C bulkhead on the firwall. The fenders (unless I make a removable cover) didn't hide the lines as much as I had hoped, so the firwall entrance would have worked as well. I'm just gonna have to keep my fingers crossed on the maintenance...I sure don't want to pull that fender off!!
I looked into both options...neither right or wrong.  I went with the kick panel bulkhead.  I risk fender removal for repairs but not really.  The Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum has the fittings pointing straight at the right side A pillar bulkhead.  If I had a failure in the receiver dryer, trinary switch, hose, fitting or o-ring, I can service some of these without removing the fender.  I may not see what I'm doing...just have to feel my way through it.  If I can't do it by feel, I can disconnect the fittings inside the car, remove the HVAC bulkhead adapter lock nuts and slide one hose or all the hoses out and even the receiver dryer and switch attached.  I'm fairly comfortable with fender removal not being necessary.

KYBlueOval

Gasman, could you post a couple of photos of the evaporator and how you mounted it. Did you modify the o.e.m defroster duct, per the Street Rodder article?
Thanks
John

Kenny

Nice build.  In your last pic I noticed a wiper unit that uses a moving cable running through tubing up to the wiper transmissions.  I installed that system on my 57 Custom but could not make it work properly.  The weak link was the tranmissions which slipped on the cable.  What manufacturer did you use and how is it working for you?  I finally gave up on my set up and installed a system called Mighty Wiper which works but the blades are too small and the sides are not in sync so I removed it and have gone back to trying to make the original work with my big EFI intake.  Real interested in how yours works.

Ford Blue blood

Not much going right now.  Car shows, life and yard work (rain and sun make everything grow!) have limited shop time the past two weeks.  Put together the small blast cabinet Harbor Freight had on sale (super coupon, $177.00) that turned into an all day project (a gazillion small nuts and screws!).

Got the new rockers and front floor pans from EMS, have them treated with phosphoric acid.  Got the shift linkage finished up, the T-Bird column and the AOD are very happy!  The detentes in the transmission and the column all hit together! 

Need to sand blast a bunch of stuff so I can prime everything with one mix cup of paint
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Sounds like stuff is falling into place on the Ranchero. Batching the small stuff for priming is good...except when you find that piece you missed a half hour after everything is sprayed and the gun has been cleaned.
I've had one of those HF blasting cabinets in my backyard for about 3 or 4 years now. If you were closer, I would have given it to you.

gasman826

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-09-29 06:25
Gasman, could you post a couple of photos of the evaporator and how you mounted it. Did you modify the o.e.m defroster duct, per the Street Rodder article?
Thanks
John
The Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum fits like it was made for this car.  There are four studs built into the unit...drill four holds in the firewall and it is a bolt in.  I fabbed an easy little bracket at the top of the unit and screwed it to the firewall just below the windshield.  I closed off the right side fresh air port and discarded the right fresh air duct work.  The VA kit includes universal defrost duct work so the OEM steel dust work is discarded.  One thing not mentioned in the install instructions is installing some kind of screen between the dash and the duct work to stop small items sliding on the dash and down the defrost duct work.  I've run this system before and am very pleased with it.  I am installing just like I have before with the addition of the defrost screen.

gasman826

Quote from: Kenny on 2015-09-29 09:09
Nice build.  In your last pic I noticed a wiper unit that uses a moving cable running through tubing up to the wiper transmissions.  I installed that system on my 57 Custom but could not make it work properly.  The weak link was the tranmissions which slipped on the cable.  What manufacturer did you use and how is it working for you?  I finally gave up on my set up and installed a system called Mighty Wiper which works but the blades are too small and the sides are not in sync so I removed it and have gone back to trying to make the original work with my big EFI intake.  Real interested in how yours works.
Power Window Specialties (PWS) makes the wiper kit.  I called them once to ask questions and got the right stuff the first time...very pleasant to do business.  I have little run time on these wipers...only test time.  I adjusted the sweep.  They run quite.  They are challenging to install in a '57 but seem to work well.  First time converting and installing those transmissions was tough.  If I was to do it again...no problem!

RICH MUISE

Gary...you too need to start a build thread, although I think the administrators are the only ones that can consolidate and move threads.

JPotter57

Go ahead and start a thread, and I will look through and combine the relevant ones.  The one for 57Impostor took a while, because I had to go to when he joined, and there were a lot of posts.  Yours shouldn't take long, I don't think.  Would be interesting to see all of your stuff on this car though...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.