News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-01-30 07:40
My Ranchero, built in San Diego, does not have the "tool box" openings.  Mine was an early production run.  Decided to put the speakers in that location because I just don't like them in the doors.  Don't even ask why, have no idea where that little hang up came from!

Saw the Evaporust on one of those TV car shows and thought I would give it a try.  Like that it is not caustic, it is kind to skin, and is bio degradable.  Have not killed the first hunk of grass in front of my shop!
Somehow I missed this post earlier. I have the speaker in door phobia also  :003: Right now I just have mine in boxes laying on the floor behind the seat, they sound great but I like your idea and that would free up space for more junk. I had no idea they had tool box doors, I have never seen them..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-01-29 15:52
I seldom endorse a product but feel I should with this one.  It is a rust remover.  Found through using it over the last six months the best method for cleaning the rust.  I first wire brush the heavy, flaky rust off.  Soak overnight in the stuff.

Comes out looking black/gray.

Wire brush them again and the parts are ready for prime and paint.

All the parts in the pictures were covered with mild to heavy surface rust.

I have used this same product and have had the same results. All Good! Small parts I put in a container and rubber band a cover of Saran Wrap over it to keep it from evaporating. As it will evaporate, as previously stated in one of these posts.
Recently a friend sent me information on another rust removal product. I have not used it, so I can't comment on its claims, but it looks very promising. the web site is     ultraone.com      They have a rust removal product and a degreaser. Watch the rust removal video. My friend bought a gallon of the rust removal product, and he and I will "test drive it" and I'll post the results. I urge you to look at the rust removal video. Rather impressive.

RICH MUISE

Bill, I like your upholstery scheme alot.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Been slow because of the weather.  Sanded off multiple layers of paint on both quarters.  Found no surprises on the right side.  Some surface rust, no holes and no dents.  Happy!

Drivers side is a different story.  Looks like the entire quarter was replaced at one time in it's storied past.  When doing the floors and the rockers on the drivers side the floor just behind the jam had a bunch of wrinkles in it.  The fit at the tail gate was off by a full 3/8" at the top.  Found evidence of gas welding (no brass) where spots should have been.  Suspicions were confirmed when I found no factory sealer on the entire quarter.  Had a bunch of red oxide primer and several layers of paint.  Add that to the fact the door is off a different car (paint under stuff on it is not the same color as the rest of the car) and the stainless was put back on before the top coats were applied tells me it was hit on the drivers side and repaired fairly well with respect to body damage.  How it got to the finish (I use that term lightly) that was on it is beyond me!  Good news, surface rust only!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'd rather repair dents than rust anyday....even better when neither are required.

Ford Blue blood

Been slow, life and warm weather.  Spent two more days working the tail.  Lots of "picking" to shrink the dent.  Got it down to a skim coat of "surface leveling" material.  Will find out how good my metal work is when blocking and paint happen!

Got the gas tank fill tube finished up.  Copper and steel and rubber 2" gas hose.  Had to section the original fill tube and twist the bend just a touch when I welded it back together.  The original tube is odd sized, welded a hunk of 2" exhaust pipe to the end to take the rubber hose.

When I cleaned out the area where the fill tube comes out found some brass work confirming the quarter was replaced in the past.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Nice work all around, Bill. Still hoping to see it in person before too long.....not sure when I'll be able to do Florida and catch you on the way. Good thing I didn't go as planned. That was the week of all the really bad storms. maybe this fall.

Ford Blue blood

Been working on finish body work.  There were 18 snap hole along each rail edge.  Got them welded, ground down and filled.  Very tedious but worth the effort.  Both quarters are ready for the first blocking along with the ribbed section of the bed floor.  The entire bed was blasted many years ago and left out with no paint so after my recent re-blasting there are many deep pits covering the entire thing.  Sanded the green paint down, shot a coat of primer, spent two days smearing bondo and one full day sanding and a second coat of primer.  Now comes the polyester spot putty and more sanding.  Some times I just have to wonder why.....but then after the shinny stuff goes on.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Fit the tail gate.  Have it latching and fitting pretty good.  Did find out I need the passenger side strap that holds the gate when lowered.  Not sure why that little item was not taken care of years ago but the hunt is on.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Limey57

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-05-04 08:08
Been working on finish body work.  There were 18 snap hole along each rail edge. 

Mine had the same, man they took ages to weld up & finish off, I actually forgot about them until I was about to shoot the primer!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Limey57 on 2017-05-06 17:07
Mine had the same, man they took ages to weld up & finish off, I actually forgot about them until I was about to shoot the primer!
I've got the same situation with my Ranchero. And yes, it takes a lot of time to fix them.

Ford Blue blood

Been working on a bunch of little stuff.  Not much photo worthy at this point.  Still have to work out the inner tail gate panel as it needs some serious "tweaking" for proper fit.  Got the "third eye" figured out.  Picked up a 4" LED assembly, cut a hole in the perfectly good stainless that goes on the top back of the cab and mounted it there.  A little nervous about doing the cut as these are a little harder to find.  Did the same on my Edsel but I found a good "extra" just incase....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-05-24 14:38
Been working on a bunch of little stuff.  Not much photo worthy at this point.  Still have to work out the inner tail gate panel as it needs some serious "tweaking" for proper fit.  Got the "third eye" figured out.  Picked up a 4" LED assembly, cut a hole in the perfectly good stainless that goes on the top back of the cab and mounted it there.  A little nervous about doing the cut as these are a little harder to find.  Did the same on my Edsel but I found a good "extra" just incase....

Oh......I like that a lot! I've been wondering how I could add a Third Brake Light to my Ranchero. You have solved it! Could you please tell me what the 4 inch LED assembly is , brand or part number and / or where you purchased it ?
Thanks
John

hiball3985

Nicely done. I recently added led tail light bulbs, what a difference they made, the new tail lights are brighter then the old brake lights and the brake lights are really bright..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2017-05-25 05:17
Oh......I like that a lot! I've been wondering how I could add a Third Brake Light to my Ranchero. You have solved it! Could you please tell me what the 4 inch LED assembly is , brand or part number and / or where you purchased it ?
Thanks
John

Here ya go John....

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TD%2D4R

The Edsel is a Ron Francis item as well.  I used the 4" because of the slight curve the stainless has and I wanted the light to stay in the recess.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero