News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

There is one in the PROJECT library titled 'FIVE YEARS'.  It's difficult to answer a question but stay organized by only posting to the PROJECT library.

Ford Blue blood

Back to the build.  Have the shift linkage sorted.  The lever on the T-Bird column is 4 1/4" center to center.  The transmission lever is 2 1/4" center to center but pointed in the wrong direction.  I made a bracket to bolt to the stock AOD (came out of a Cougar) to change the direction (I don't take apart automatics).  It took several tries to get the length correct.  It turned out to be 3 1/2" center to center and gave perfect detent hits on both.

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

The head pipes are a modified 71 - 73 Mustang 351C 2bbl H pipe from Dallas Mustangs.  I cut the "H" out and fit one side at a time.  Pretty happy with how they exit on each side of the transmission.  There are several cuts and welds to get the final fit.  The biggest was 3 1/2" out of the straight section just below the manifold to get then up over the cross member.  I will add the "H" to the exhaust pipes that go aft to the mufflers.  Got the steering column plate almost finished, will work on it to install a seal to keep engine bay stuff out of the car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Think the floor pans could use a touch of bondo and some rattle can and they will be good to go :005:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Good to Go?, lol..Bill, they've already left.
Your downpipe mods seem very much like what I had to do with my Cobra off road pipes I started with.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Yup, a little six pack engineering, many, many, many trips under the car for each pipe, measure many times before the cuts and spot welds until everybody is happy!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Decided the pans can wait a few days/weeks.  Have the mufflers on back to the axle, will have the shop finish the over the axle portion later.

Also decided to finish the dash work so it can go back in for a finish test fit then pulled back out to do the pans.  Modifying it slightly to take the Moon instruments I purchased in 1996 as Classic lost the rights to "Moon".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Those black faced Moon gauges are gonna look great.
What did you install for mufflers?

Ford Blue blood

Rich the mufflers are Thrush Turbo 2 1/4".  Love the sound, have them on the 65 Bird, had them on the 66 Falcon and have them on the 36.

Got the instrument install fitted.  Will final trial fit the dash and column before blowing apart to do the pans and rockers.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Nice layout...I like the placement of the two outer gages beyond the normal area. Are you welding the panel in, or removable? I noticed the three small holes...led's behind the holes, or to be opened up to a larger size later, or mounting holes?

Ford Blue blood

Thanks Rich, yes it will be welded in.  I moved them out to keep from crowding things too much.  Notice my SVT heritage with the tachometer on the right and the "eyes" looking at the center :003:.  Have not decided on painting or working up a little engine turned aluminum for a finish.  The holes are for LEDs, turn and high beam.  I have some that fit perfectly in the 1/8th" holes, just need to solder a resistor and wires to them to keep the 12V from blowing them up!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Been working on cutting out the rust and keeping the good stuff.  Not very exciting, very tedious and some what seemingly endless.  Decided to break from that and shoot a little primer on the dash and the underside of the pans and rockers.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Zapato

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2015-11-11 15:25
Been working on cutting out the rust and keeping the good stuff.  Not very exciting, very tedious and some what seemingly endless.  Decided to break from that and shoot a little primer on the dash and the underside of the pans and rockers.

Dash looks great

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

billd5string

That dash really looks cool - very nice work!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

Ford Blue blood

Thanks guys......had to take a break with the kid and grandchild here.  Did the throttle hook up today, a little 6 pack engineering and the idea came to me. 

I'm using the stock 4bbl throttle arm.  Heated it in the center to make the engine side arm point up.  That turned out pretty good, the engine side just touches the fire wall when the pedal side is just on the floor.

Next i put the pedal side about 1" off the floor, opened the carb wide and used a short hunk of welding rod to get a length to hook things together.  Took the short connecting rod, cut it, gas welded the ends to a chunk of brake line.  I have a large amount of adjustment built in to that rod.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero