News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-06-12 15:48
I assume that's an exterior color as well?

Thanks Rich, it is the exterior color.  Might regret that decision when the long board comes out.  It is black until the sun hits it.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Longboarding / blocking.......is it me? I haven't really done anything other than my '57, but I think I spend more time working the curves and transitional areas that can't be longboarded than areas that can be. It seems almost everything on these cars is transitioning from one size/shape to another. I figured out a long time ago "straight as an arrow" doesn't apply to these cars.
I found a set of soft sanding blocks years ago that made life much easier...called "soft sanders". the set of 8 covers most of the curved shapes. They're a foam block, won't last forever, and I wore out my first set...was happy to find another at the Pace swap meet in April.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I do have several "home made" blocking tools for those areas that the long board just will not work.

Put some shinney stuff on the inner fenders. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

I'm thinking I'm gonna like that color a lot.

Ford Blue blood

Put the "shiny stuff" on the car.  Put the radiator in, very happy with the fit!  The 3/4" section job on the support worked well.  Did have to reroute some brake lines off the distribution block.  No big deal, just got out the bender again.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Custom_Shelby

I see you had the same problem I had with the right side inner fenderwell, that "dimpling" of the metal around the battery tray location from decades of battery acid, mine was so bad I ended up finding another one out in a pile of front end parts out in the country that was in far better shape than mine even after sitting out in the weather for over 20 years, glass beading took care of all the surface rust.

Ford Blue blood

Ya, it cleaned up very well and was solid when all is said and done.  Would have made a new piece if it wasn't so solid.  Decided not to "body work" the area because the box will sit on it.  Going with an Optima so the box is waiting it's turn for modification.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Looks great Bill. It's progressing along nicely.

Ford Blue blood

Had a little work to catch up with.  When disassembling the front end to check/repair stuff got a little surprise.  The sway bar was broken.  So.....found a 58 Edsel Pacer front sway bar and installed it today.  Had to make a couple of brackets to mount it to the frame.  Easy as pie.  2" square X 1/8" trimmed to the width of the sway bar mount, cut off to look like a "L", drilled the holes for the mount, welded nuts on the back side, installed the whole thing, spotted the brackets, took everything out and welded them to the chassis.  Trimmed the cut off part to weld on the other end of the "L" to reinforce the bracket.  The large hole in front of the lower control arm bump stop is for the links.  Fits really nice.

Forgot this last picture of the bracket welded in.  Old timers I guess:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

I guess that explains the reason for the unused holes in the lower control arms when they are on OEM Fords....It's been so long since I've paid attention to a stock setup, I forget where the original sway bar mounted on the control arms.

Ford Blue blood

That little slot in the front side of the control arm is the original mounting for the end of the stock sway bar.  Not sure why the 57 control arms had the hole for the sway bar link.  Building the Edsel and doing the research for it found that it is a 57/58 Ford with different sheet metal on the front and back.  So when the broken sway bar showed up I figured I'd just go ahead and locate an Edsel bar.  I suspect the 59 Ford bar would fit as well.  Just need to weld brackets on.

Wrapping up the gas tank today.  Will take a shot of it in the hole when done.  Forgot to shoot pics as I went along on it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

I have been a slacker with respect to taking pictures!  The tank modifications went so fast and well I just got on a role and finished the mods.  Still need the fill neck finished but the tank is mounted, vented, roll over protection in the vent, leak tested, and plumbed into the gas line going forward.

Wire brushed the surface, treated, shot with chrome followed with clear to give the "look".  Rubber on the straps and the top, ground wire ready to go.  Not real pretty but should serve well.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Life does go on.....Been a couple of weeks since my last update.  Had daughter and grand daughter in for two weeks, wife went to WI to visit, grass continues to grow and buried a long time friend and fellow hot rodder.

So with limited time and access to the shop a lot of little "stuff" has been finished up.  Got the battery box modified and powder coated, got the hood hinges apart and coated, got the horns apart, cleaned painted and back together and the air cleaner assembly re-finished from black to what you see.

No pics of the numerous holes welded up from the old snaps that held the bed cover and the many 5/16 rusted up nuts tapped and cleaned up.

Next will be the repair of the area under the tail gate, couple of patch panels required there.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-07-29 16:25
Life does go on.....Been a couple of weeks since my last update.  Had daughter and grand daughter in for two weeks, wife went to WI to visit, grass continues to grow and buried a long time friend and fellow hot rodder.

So with limited time and access to the shop a lot of little "stuff" has been finished up.  Got the battery box modified and powder coated, got the hood hinges apart and coated, got the horns apart, cleaned painted and back together and the air cleaner assembly re-finished from black to what you see.

No pics of the numerous holes welded up from the old snaps that held the bed cover and the many 5/16 rusted up nuts tapped and cleaned up.

Next will be the repair of the area under the tail gate, couple of patch panels required there.

I sure would appreciate some photos of your "under the tail gate" repairs as I have those same repairs to do to my Ranchero.
Thanks
John

gasman826

2x on pictures of the 'under tailgate repairs'.  I'm gathering parts to rebuild the wagon's 40-year old, poorly done rear-end accident repairs.