News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Shelby's on the Pier, Santa Monica, CA

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-09-20 17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Guys:

While waiting for my 57 to be done, I occasionally go to a show with my Shelby GT.  I attended a great show yesterday at the Santa Monica Pier.  There was plenty of eye candy (great Shelby's from all years).  Jay Leno even came.  He was to have received his brand new 2016 Shelby GT 350-R, but it wasn't done yet.  Ford let him bring another new GT 350, not the R model to show the crowd, it looked really great in a dark blue.  He praised if for how great it drives and handles and compared it favorable to the best that Ferarri can build for about a forth the cost.  Unfortunately, he drove it off before I could go back to my car to get my camera.  Galpin Ford brought out their version of a 2015 Mustang GT, on they have prepared for last year's SEMA Show.  I did get a few photos of this one.  This one is supposed to have about 720 hp for driving around.  Oh well, I guess if you have enough money to throw at a car you can do just about anything.

I can hardly wait for my 57 to be finished, or at least drivable, it gets plenty of attention even at the Shelby and Mustang Shows and not everyone has one.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Here are a couple of photos of the Galpin Ford SEMA Mustang GT.

Bob
57 AGIN

rmk57

Are the AC Cobras the real deal?  In all my time going to car shows, races, I've ever only seen one real one, a small block 64 at a vintage road race.

Great setting for a car Shelby car show!

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

rmk57:

Most Cobras you will see are clones/Kit cars.  Shelby American still manufacturers "real" Cobras that have real CSM numbers.  I forget what they call these modern Cobras, but they are indeed made by Shelby.  Factory 5, Superformance and some others make their versions of Cobras.  3 of the Cobras on display were in fact the real deal, they are the 2 red one and the silver one in the middle of the 1st overhead photo in my post.  The silver on is owned by Mr. Hank Williams and he is the original owner.  He drives his cobra to a number of shows out here and he's a very nice guy.  Original Cobras like these 3 are million dollar cars.

Bob

hiball3985

Lynn Park who lives up in my area has about 10-11, I forget how many are originals, and does restoration work for a lot of other owners. He is at our little show many Saturday mornings. And he doesn't just let them sit, him and his sons still take them out and race them.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2015-09-23 02:37
rmk57:

I forget what they call these modern Cobras, but they are indeed made by Shelby.  Factory 5, Superformance and some others make their versions of Cobras. 
Bob

I believe the "new" Cobras are called "continuation" and are produced without engines allowing them to avoid the safety and emmisions of production automobiles.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Ford Blue blood:

I believe you are correct, I believe their CSM numbers start with 6000.  Here in California, I believe it is very difficult to get the new series cars issued a Permit due to the smog laws and having to go through a difficult referee process.  Although, maybe with the new crate motors and electronics they may pass the most stringent smog regulations.  You guys in other states are very lucky to be able to do most anything to your newer cars.  Thank GOD our 57's are smog exempt.  But, I also have to say that growing up in Southern California back before the emissions laws were put into place and we were burning trash in our back yard incinerators Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties had constant smog alerts and generally unhealthful air to breathe.  We now have generally nice weather, an occasional earthquake and breatheable air, but it is still a bit crowded.

Bob
57 AGIN