News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finally, my build thread..

Started by JPotter57, 2015-09-21 13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Going to reach all the way back to November 2007 when I bought this old Custom out of Dallas, TX.  It was an ebay find, 1000 buy now or offer..I offered and got it for $850.  It wasn't much to look at, all glass had been broken out after sitting in a field for years.  It was last registered in 1968, according to the inspection sticker in the corner of the windshield, and the license plate which now hangs in my garage.  It had been raced as a low level gasser, had 390 4 speed at one time, lots of broken valve train parts in the trunk when I got it home.  The front end had been all welded together into a flip front, pretty heavy unit.  I will post a few pics as I find them and get them resized, and/or scanned.  These are as I found it, in the previous owners back yard.  He had rescued it from the field two years earlier, and decided it was too much of a project for him.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

This is on the trailer at my house, a 650 mile drive later.  Lots of crap in the trunk, and in the interior.  It had a 54 Ford seat in it, which I threw out due to the condition of it.
Old, loud, and fast.

lalessi1

Man it was a little rough, but the price was right! I am dying to know the details on the 427 aquisition.
Lynn

junior58

Mmm, 427 has a nice ring to it
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

rmk57

What colour was it originally? Kinda hard to tell but it looks like it has paint dividers.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

It was originally doeskin tan and colonial white.  The doeskin is the one that really looked more like salmon pink.  Anyway, it did have one divider, the other was missing.  I had a friend that needed the divider for that side so I gave it to him.  Figured I would never find an opposite side, and in the almost 8 years I've had it, I haven't.   I just welded the holes shut and finished it.  I have more photos, lots more, will just have to find them, may take a little while.  Those were just the ones I could get to easily.
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

I am following ya brother bear..... with ernest!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JPotter57

Lynn, it actually wasn't that bad, very little rust, just had a lot of cheap paint on it that was flaking off in various places.  The driver side qtr had been hit at some point in the past, and sculpted back with bondo.  I figured that out when I put a set of 8 inch rims on back, and the driver side fender was closer to the wheel.  It looked solid, so I thought the axle was off center.  Well, I started looking, and found that the fender lip was about 1 inch thick bondo, looked really good, correct contours, etc.  When I used a torch to melt out the bondo, that lip was almost flat with the body.  Apparently, sometime in the past, some one had either gotten hit, or hit something and scraped down the whole side.  I figure the latter, as the driver side also had a `58 Custom 300 door on it, and I had to weld up 14 trim holes.  Anyway, I will post pictures of the quarter panel rehab, as soon as I find them.  I just looked at them the other day.  I will try to find them this week.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Experimenting with different looks here...The lowered look has been dispensed with, and it now sits at basically stock height.  May lower slightly when I put the 427 in it.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

The first pic here is when I discovered the damage to the driver side quarter panel.  I have some additional photos, when I find them, I will post them.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

This is with the car jambed in white...I kinda wish I had left it this way now...oh well.
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

I remember well the slogging around in the rain and mud at Glenn's place when you rescued that quarter!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Yeah, that was fun, lol...Even better, after we got finished cutting it out, it stopped raining, lol.  I have a bunch more pictures of fixing that thing, I ended up using one of those cheap rocker panels to repair the lower front of that quarter.  It had a little bit of rust at the very bottom, not much though  Much better shape than what I cut off it.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

I was just beginning to get rid of some of the stuff I didnt plan to use here, like those stylish Western Hurricanes...Note the pink looking paint on the firewall.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Here are some of my early purchases, the Cragar Super Slot (I was a huge Bob Glidden fan, still am), the only thing I truly regret getting rid of on this car..They fit perfectly, looked incredible.  Someone came along with a giant stack of 100s and i couldnt resist...Now I'll never find those sizes and offsets again...stupid move.  The Crites hood and trunklid are great and on the car now.
Old, loud, and fast.