News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finally, my build thread..

Started by JPotter57, 2015-09-21 13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

racton

:unitedstates:   It sounds sweet.Cant wait to see what the motor looks like.I have a 1958 steering box  where the column was cut with a sawzall just above the nut on the steering box.Can I save the box?
Thank You for all you do for us and good luck........racton

hiball3985

Quote from: racton on 2017-07-16 22:06
:unitedstates:   It sounds sweet.Cant wait to see what the motor looks like.I have a 1958 steering box  where the column was cut with a sawzall just above the nut on the steering box.Can I save the box?
Thank You for all you do for us and good luck........racton
I don't see why you couldn't add the rest of the shaft by using a collar and welding if you have a long enough piece coming out of the box..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Sounds so nice Seamus!!!!!!.... hahaha
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JPotter57

lol Jeff...Once my Jasmes Potter profile gets out of facebook jail, I will be good with that one, since that is where all my buy and sell sites, all my friends and family, etc are.  I will use the new profile to speak my mind on political issues, and let Seamus sit in jail instead of my real one, lol...
For those wondering what this exchange is about, I had a little altercation with a muslim on fb the other day, and I said a couple things that got me tossed into facebook timeout for a week  Because I had a couple deals on parts going and had no other way to contact the sellers, I had to make another profile, and instead of duplicating my name, I just used the Celtic spelling and pronunciation of my name so I can keep them separate.  Its funny the amount of folks texting or PMing me to let me know that someone was using my profile picture as theirs, lol.  I probably explained that a few dozen times last week.  Anyway, as of right now, I have about 5 or 6 hours left in the hole, and I will be back online, a kinder gentler me.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

since it takes two, did the other guy get a timeout?

Jeff Norwell

LOL James..I am just kidding with you....Your Tops in my book and that was funny........Your 57 is  D Y N A M I T E !
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

mustang6984

Funny story. And yes..inquiring minds want to know...did the other chap get a time out as well?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

JPotter57

No, just me.  Long story...
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

I really was wondering if you had a doppelganger out there Mr. Seamus.  Thanks for clearing this up.  Loving your car build.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

OK, I finally got a pair of fenders together and painted, using supposedly the best parts in the business to replace some sheetmetal.  Was not happy at all with the fit of these parts, particularly with how much I paid for them.  Honestly, I have bought parts from Schott Manufacturing (old supplier from back in the day) that were better quality.  Long story short, I made them work, and got some paint on them.  They are race car nice, and will not be staying on my 57.  I will eventually use them on my gasser 57.  I have bought a set of fenders from a member here, having them shipped via Greyhound.  I cant wait for them to get here.  They are pretty nice, and need only a little work.  I found a pretty good deal, I think anyway, on a pair of NOS FoMoCo headlight panels.  The repro ones I paid 175 each for, these NOS perfect Ford replacements with Ford part numbers, invoices, and wrappings, I paid 250 each for.  If the best in the business can charge near NOS prices for their stuff, it had better improve a LOT, or I will be sourcing all of my future replacement sheetmetal from NOS sources.  What this all amounts to, is that if I were not planning on using these fenders anyway on my race car, I would have just flushed nearly 600 down the toilet, as I also bought their lower rear patch panels, which fit no better.  Honestly, i could have hammered them out of flat sheet and looked as good as these.  I can handle a little sheetmetal fitting, but the lines should at least match up, especially for 130 per side, plus shipping.  Anyway, the front fenders are on, temporarily, until my good ones are done and painted, then these will go on to the gasser project.
Old, loud, and fast.

mustang6984

You're not giving me a lot of confidence in the stuff  need to replace. GULP!  >:(
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Several years ago I tried to save a fender that needed the headlight panel.  The aftermarket panel was a total waste of time and money.  I was fortunate to get affordable NOS panels.  The NOS panel made this an easy repair.  A fender that needs a headlight panel is likely in need of lower, rear repair making it near worthless.

lalessi1

Lynn

RICH MUISE

Mustang6984 and others contemplating this......it CAN be done, but difficult. Both of my fenders have headlight panels (not EMS).they were a nightmare, but got them done with alot of work. Unless a pair of Ford nos panels are found, I would think it would be next to impossible for other than a master sheet metal guy to replace the panels and RETAIN THE OEM SEAMED FACTORY LOOK. The easiest way is to remove the back sheet metal flange , reshape the profile, and butt weld to the fender. That was fine with me, as I was eliminating as many seams as posible anyway.Just my 2 cents.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

your 57 definetely looks HOT by now, James! love the silver steelies and hubcap on front.
glad I never ordered those headlight repair panels for my rusted DelRio fenders. trying to fix them myself.
for a custom look I love the way you did yours Rich. very smooth. wouldn't want them on a pretty much factory car like my Country Sedan though. Maybe something I will consider for the DR.