News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finally, my build thread..

Started by JPotter57, 2015-09-21 13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

some random photos of before and during stripping process
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Finally, full set of delete plates...more photos later.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

I will try to get some more current photos up soon.  I am currently working on my 427, took the intake and timing cover off last night, as well as the rocker assemblies.  I will be putting the valve springs on tonight, maybe stab the cam in.  I will be putting in a Comp Cams 294S, nice little solid cam.  Should run pretty good, should sound great.  I will run it like this for a little while, and later on, maybe put in a 3.98 or bigger crank.  I eventually want to wind up with some of the Survival FElony aluminum heads, a dual 4 Tunnel Wedge intake, and a Tremec TKO 5 speed.  For now, it will knock around with either an automatic or maybe a T5, which I know won't survive launches, but with a little babying, it will last to drive like a sane person.  That being said, I am thrilled to finally have my dream engine, even more thrilled, that after having spent a great deal of money on my 312, I was able to parlay that into a 427.  As soon as I remember to take my camera to the garage, I will get some pics, and put them here.   I am debating on whether to paint my block and heads black or Ford blue.  Help me out...Blue or black?  Will most likely use chrome pent roof valve covers, maybe aluminum pent roofs, depending on which I find in the next 2 weekends. 
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

I think I may have to part with a few 392's to get my favourite Ford FE....

lalessi1

I painted my 390 black. I got tired of it quick, it was in a black engine compartment. Painted my 462 Ford Red like a 312 just for grins. I have a set of baldy valve covers for it and I want to put '57 decals on them.  :003:
Lynn

gasman826

289 HPs and 427 HPs were black from the factory.  Since your's is custom, any color you want.  Like Chip Foose says, it's like a jewelry box...it should POP when you open it!!!!!!  Just like you color coordinate the outside and interior, so should the engine compartment have a plan.  A 427 side oiler is an outstanding start...just do it proud.

PIC 1 - old Ford blue?
PIC 2 - I don't think 460s were factory painted aluminum, but with polished and smoothed black firewall and inner fenders...aluminum gray is my choice.

Jeff Norwell

well, I am a pure vintage fan.. and red was (and maybe still is) going on my engine.... but since you have the real deal James.... this engine in 63 was just for photography... but I dig a factory look.
427 in a Merc (Marauder--very rare)

Zapato

If it was my car and the lower half of your firewall is black and guessing your inner fenders are also going to be black then I'd be painting it body color.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57tudor

James,

Looks like your project is coming along very well, looks great. Did you get an FE 427 or the stroker small block 427 for your ride? It would be nice to see it completed by 2017, we would love to have you in the Fabulous Fords Forever Car Show at Knott's Berry Farm held every April here in California to celebrate the 60th anniversary of our beloved 57 Fords. Plus Bob & I would love to meet you as well. Bob & I will be recruiting as many "stock as possible" 57 Fords for our milestone display area of the show. Keep the progress pictures coming, love to see them. I will be doing a custom one off power steering project on my 57 when my show season ends at the end of next month, and some suspension upgrades as well.

Rick,
57 Tudor
:unitedstates:

JPotter57

I found an FE 427 Rick.  It is currently getting a new cam, lifters, springs, intake and oil pan.  Hopefully will have it ready to put in the car in a couple weeks.  There is so much going on right now, I don't have time to do anything.  It seems like we have something going on every day of the week, and we do this week, which is a drag.  This week is Cruisin the Coast week here on the Gulf coast, and I have something to do every night this week except Thursday.  I suspect, if I look more closely at my planner calendar, I will realize I have forgotten something on that day.  Pretty much, it is a wash.  Hopefully, things will slow down enough to get something done.
Old, loud, and fast.

57tudor

James,

What year 427? and is it a top or side older, side oiler is the better engine, but still cool ether way and a nice bolt in engine. Well, 2017 is still a ways off so keep us in mind.

Rick,
57 Tudor
:unitedstates:

JPotter57

Mine is a 70 casting, originally in a Chris  Craft cruiser, very low hours.  It is cast as a side oiler, machined as a center oiler.  For my use, it is fine.  If I was running it on a road course, NASCAR or something like that, side oiling would make a difference.  You can still see the crosshatches in the cylinder bores.  I am resealing it with new gaskets, since it has never been apart.  I bought it from a friend of mine, who had both engines, apparently both were standard rotation, as neither had any reverse rotation stuff on them.  While I have mine down, I am putting new valve seals and springs to match my Comp 294S solid cam, and installing a T-pan for 8 quarts of oil, and for now, an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake.  I eventually plan to swap on a set of good heads, preferrably a set of the Survival motorsports FElony heads and Tunnel Wedge intake.  Of course it will have a man pedal, likely a Toploader or T10 for now, eventually, as I save up, a Tremec TKO 5 speed.  Like I said before, I had almost gotten to the point that I was going to get it running with the 351C and trade it off for something else.  Now that I have my dream engine, I am excited about it again.  I can't wait to crank it up.  I am so anxious, that I plan to build a run in stand for it, so I can crank it up and at least get the cam broken in.  I have some paint work I want to do to it before I put the engine back in.  I am changing colors from the yellow in my avatar.  Still sort of debating that with myself now.  I had almost decided to go with red, and may still, but I am liking basic white too.  If my body was a little bit straighter, I would do a darker color, dark blue or black..still torn on that.  I had actually bought red, but I plan on redoing my 61 F100 soon, and I am leaning toward red on it, so the paint wont go to waste.  Still thinking..any ideas, guys?
Old, loud, and fast.

junior58

Each to their own, but I'm not a yellow fan, so a move away from that wouldn't bother me. Are you thinking single colour or two-tone?
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

JPotter57

Single color.  I had already moved on from the yellow last year, just haven't updated the photo yet.  The next avatar will be of the car painted whatever color I pick...It's been a long time coming.  Whatever the color is, it has to be worthy of the 427 going in.
Old, loud, and fast.