News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finally, my build thread..

Started by JPotter57, 2015-09-21 13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2016-05-05 10:50
Plus a winged critter flew into it and wallowed around for a minute before I could pick him out. 

Why is it they can't have the common courtesy to just land and die?  Gotta wallow around for ever and get themselves buried deep before finally stopping......arg!

Looking very nice there James, minimal sanding and buffing and great body work!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

A couple updated photos.  Got the door seals glued on, only have a little bit to clean up...aggravating stuff, but it holds great, the Black 3M is the best.

Note the 275 60 15 under the fender, no trimming, no re-rolling the fender lis, just careful measuring.  The wheels are rare 80-81 F100 with the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.  They are almost 15x7, I think they actually measure at a hair more than 6 7/8, yet not quite 7, but clse enough for me.  The tires do not balloon out too much, and they have a nice tread pattern.

The front wheels are equally as hard to find as the 15x"7"s, they are 15x5 with the larger center register to fit over the Granada brake hubs.  They are wearing 215 70 15 and look great on it.  Hoping to get the brake lines plumbed once I get the 351 out, then back in with the 427.  Once that is done, I will start back on the front fenders, hood and deck lid, then it should look like a 57.  Once everything is together, then I will cut and buff it.  It's not perfect, but it is sure a nice 8 to 10 footer.  I have done 100% of everything on it, hate the headliner, it will have to be redone, had a bow seam sewn into itself, and made a pucker that I cannot get out.  I have tried everything.. Since it has been 3 years or so since I bought it, I cant really do anything about it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Not much to report lately, had some home improvement projects that kept me busy for the last few weeks.  I did get some holes welded up on the firewall and got it repainted semigloss black.  I have the brake lines partially done, and hope to finish them today, get the brakes pumped up.  The last bit this weekend should be bolting the 427 and 4 speed together, and getting it ready to set down in the frame.  I need to get a new pair of motor mounts as mine look pretty sad.  I am considering making another set of solid mounts.  After I get the 427 in the car, I will have to get my Holleys rebuilt, shouldnt take long, just have to invest in the big 5 gallon pail of carb cleaner so I can fit the body and baseplates in to soak.  Cant wait to see it all together finally.  Getting antsy, ready to hear it.  If it stays like yesterday and isnt too hot this weekend, I may try to finish up my fenders and get them painted.  It has just been so hot, I havent gone to the garage.  Oh yeah, got one step closer to crawling under it to install the gastank yesterday..the straps are in the trunk now, and the tank is at the back of the car, lol.  Maybe this weekend.  More soon....
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

Looking great.  I think yours will probably be ready before mine is.  At least the painting is just about done on mine and body work is finalized, too.  I haven't a clue how long the reassembly will take to get it done right.  I guess I'll soon find out.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

Mines not near the caliber of yours, but its been fun, and im sure the pleasure of driving it will be the same, at least the smiles on our faces will be the same...Mine should be a nice 5 to 10 footer visually, but should knock it out of the park for coolness sake, I hope anyway.  I cant wait to hear the sound, and it will be cranked initially with open headers.  Thats a tradition with me and my cars, the first start is and has always been open headers.  I dontdo it at 3 am like I used to as a teen, lol...
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

OK, I would rather do two more weeks of body work than have to install windows.  After 5 hours yesterday, I finally got the door glass installed and working right.  Yes, it sucked mightily.  Hopefully, the passenger side will go a little easier.
Old, loud, and fast.

mustang6984

LOL!!! Door glass installation was invented as payback for our misspent youth! :038:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

JPotter57

Yep...today went easier, only took 2 hours to get the passenger side in...
Old, loud, and fast.

mustang6984

I will have to do driver's door...and windshield. Think I'll chicken out on the windshield...let a professional do it. Too damn expensive to screw it up. Congrats on the door. Do you still have hair left? or was it all removed in the process? LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

James....wondering how the back side glass went with the seal and how you ended up doing it. I'm going to try to get mine better than the first time, so any suggestions appreciated. I've got them out now for the repaint. What's your opinion on the glass channel width? Do you see any other choice except the fact they're made wrong?
Also, PM sent re new member application.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Havent gotten there yet.  I spent the weekend installing my 427 and 4 speed.  I'm still pretty disgusted with my headliner so I havent started on the side glass yet.  My headliner had a bow pocket sewn under which caused a pretty nasty gathI took it out and clipped it out as best as I could, but the gather is still there, and sticks out like a turd in a punchbowl.  Right in the middle of the car.  I wish I had been able to find a proper cloth headliner, those vinyl ones suck if there is a sewing problem.  When you rip out the seam and redo it, if you're not careful, your vinyl headliner will be full of holes, and really look bad.  For $120, I really expected better.  Since it's been a couple years since I bought it, my only recourse is to live with it, or throw it in the trash and buy another.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Here is the 427 and 4 speed going into their final position.  The Hooker 6114 headers, made for 68 Mustang with 428, fit like they were made for the car.  The wives tale about turning the motor mounts backwards did not work out.  It put the engine too far forward, the headers hit the pitman arm, the motor mount on the driver side, put the number 8 tube very close to the steering box, z bar would not match up to the pivot on the block, plus it would have put the fan very close to the radiator.  Installing the motor mounts like they were on the Y block, closed end toward the radiator, the engine sits back where it is supposed to be, headers clear at all normal interference points nicely, everything looks good.  The only problem is one of my own making.  I used a Canton T pan, and it is just too close to the passenger side lower control arm for my liking, so I will look for a standard deep sump pan or pull this pan and angle cut the corner, plate it, and repaint it.  Not sure yet, but I wont be able to drive it with it that close, dont trust it.  Otherwise, the FE install is nearly complete, and hopefully can start it soon.
Old, loud, and fast.

mustang6984

Oh I am jealous...still need to get the rest of my car stripped, do the metal work and then get the engine built before I can insert it. Looks good...keep on rollin'! Maybe some street time before the end of the summer!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Oil pan?  How close is too close.  Milodon pan will not allow the engine to go straight down without hitting the lower control arms.  I have to 'thread' the engine in and around the lower control arms but it fits when in the mounts.

JPotter57

Gasman, if mine was a Milodon, with that style of T, then it would work.  Mine is a canton, with what is basically a box welded onto the bottom of the pan, and because it is straight up and down instead of angled in at the top, that is what hits.  I was afraid I might have problems with it, but took a chance...
Old, loud, and fast.