News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

This is sorta an engine swap.

Started by lalessi1, 2015-09-23 18:20

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I just finished up my replacement for my stock 390... a 462 FE. Dyno next Thursday just for grins.  :003:
Lynn

rmk57

Nice, I've always liked an fe in a 57 Ford.

What kind of numbers are you hoping for?

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

They tell me it should be close to 500 hp. The engine has 11.2 to 1 compression ratio, solid lifter 282 duration/.571" lift Comp Cam, Edelbrock heads, Blue Thunder dual plane intake with an 850 double pumper. I really would be happy with 475 hp though... not really trying to max out the engine's potential. I tried to build it as best as I could but I am not an engine builder.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

The engine looks impressive, Lynn. Knowing your addiction to technical details, my monies are on it running like a champ...for a long time.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Thanks Rich, I really appreciate the comments. Can't help the technical detail addiction thing...born that way. LOL! :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Awesome looking engine Lynn, I'm sure it's going to be more power then you can use  :003:
I considered building an FE for mine but then decided I may not want to go that fast at my age...
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Well I finally got my engine to the dyno yesterday, a week later than originally planned. This was my first (and last I suspect) engine dyno experience and it was a thrill I can't express. The FE proved to be incredibly impressive. The engine made over 500 ft lbs of torque from 2700 RPM through 5100 RPM, peaking at 551 ft lbs at 4000 on pump gas. The engine made 501 HP at 5400 RPM. Considering the block is circa 1966 and the basic design dates back to 1958 I think these are amazing numbers, especially for a home garage build. Another cool thing...this engine weighs 500 lbs  :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Those are some impressive numbers Lynn, you must be grinning ear to ear. I was always amazed the FE only weighed a few pounds more then a Y and with your aluminum heads and manifold it weighs less now. That is going to be one fast 57.

If my crystal ball had told me I would own a 57 in the future I would have saved the last FE I built for it instead of sticking it in my 66 F250  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

For me the FE's are the perfect engine for a 57. After all, Ford designed it considering the chassis and it was one of the last of the vintage engines that were actually later developed for factory racing. It will be interesting to see how my engine works out on the street. I figure I can always go to a milder hydraulic cam and fuel injection if drivability is an issue. I imagine the weak link is going to be getting the power to the ground but I will leave it that way for now to hopefully not break things!
Lynn

hiball3985

With those kinds of HP and torque numbers getting the power to the ground is going to take some real finesse with the gas pedal  :burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

My right foot already needs a leadectomy....
Lynn