News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Body mount rubbers

Started by jvo, 2015-10-08 10:29

Previous topic - Next topic

jvo

I am about to take my body off the rotisserie and put it on the frame so I can install the doors and weld the new quarter panels in place.  I can't find any pics of how the body mount rubbers and washers are installed.  I have the cheesy instruction paper that came with it, but it doesn't show which way the hexagon washer goes on the top.  Does the hexagon washer go on with the dished portion up, or down?
Also, what purpose does this hexagon washer serve?  Does it lock the bolt into the dished washer below it once tightened? 
I know this should be a pretty simple subject, but I just want to make sure I do it right as I might have to take the body back off again to do the inner wheel tubs and a few other things.
Also, would it be a good idea to put some of that copper kote anti seize grease on the threads so the mounts don't seize in place again?  Thanks.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Wirenut

I have attached a photo of the way the bushings and washers assemble. Hope it helps and the photos loaded ok. The anti seize is definitely a good idea.

Wirenut

Here's the rear set photo

jvo

Okay, thanks for that.  Only one more thing.  Do you know which way the hexagon washer on top goes on to the stack?  Is the curve up, or down?  The hexagon washer is dished convex, or concave, depending which way you are holding it. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Limey57

I assumed that the hexagon washer was like a spring washer (we know them as "Belleville" washers over here) and installed it with the concave side facing down, so that as you tightened the bolt it compressed (and flattened) the hexagon washer.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Wirenut

10/4 the concave faces towards the rubber bushing. Good luck putting the car back on the frame.

jvo

Okay, thanks for the input.  I was hoping to get at this project this weekend, but life keeps getting in the way, so I guess it will be sometime in the future.  At least I am confident I know how to install them properly. 
I need to get this done before the snow flies, although we are supposed to have an el nino winter again, which usually means warm weather here.