News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4 wheel disc or disc/drum???

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-10-20 10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

At one time I was wondering how similar the Ranchero large bearing rear ends were compared to my similar year F100 as far as backing plates, brakes, drums and axle retainer. I know the axles them selves are different. I never got around to doing the comparison.

I have some loose F100 axles that I was going to measure the bearing OD and bolt pattern on the retainer to compare but I got in a hurry to get the Ranchero back on the road and didn't do that either.

With all the different backing plates, shoes, drums and bearing retainers that Ford used in different years and models I hope someone has the info for you. It's baffling to me and requires more research then I have time.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Early Big Bearing and Late Big Bearing have the same OD on the bearing.  The retaining plate bolt pattern is different.  Elongating the holes a little and they will fit.  Some of the earlier F100s had a mix of 28 and 31 spline axles.  By the time the F150 came out and the F100 was retired, most if not all had 31 spline.

dgasman

Rich,

I have a set of 57 wagon big bearing backing plates you can have if you want them . just pay for the shipping. let me know.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

Awesome...I've been flip flopping back and forth between disc  drum, old rebuilt or new, it's time to make a decision, and you just pushed me in a direction..thank you!!
PM sent
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

So...rear brakes...wagons & Rancheros big brakes vs. standard brakes. what's the difference exactly?
is the drum dia. the same?
what is the difference in shoe widths?
Is the brake cyl. a bigger bore on the wagons?
big bearing axel housing aside, is the backing plate for the big brakes different than the std brakes? If so, is it the area where the brake cylinder mounts to keep the cylinder's push rods centered on the width of the shoes?
Does anybody have pn's for the big brake components, and is any of this stuff available thru NAPA....I see prices like 150. per drum from classic auto parts?!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Basically everything is different,
Shoes and drums are wider, 2" vs 1 3/4" on passenger cars. Drums are 11" same as car.
Backing plates have a larger center hole for the big bearing and different hole pattern for for the bearing retainer. I asked this question before and was told the backing plate sits further inboard to allow the wider shoes and drums.
Wheel cylinders are 15/16" vs 7/8".
This is to the best of my knowledge which isn't always 100% accurate  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

The brake shoes/drums are wider, (1/2" if I remember right). The extra width is on the inside, the backing plates and the drums are different. Drum diameter is the same. The brake cylinders are 15/16" vs. 7/8". Looking at the parts book it seems the big brakes require big bearings. I have the original PN#s if you need them.
Lynn