News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

swaybar for 57 Ranch wagon

Started by bagboy, 2008-04-13 22:50

Previous topic - Next topic

bagboy

Here is a cheap/eazy handling fix.Late 90's up rear swaybar off chev suburan almosts bolts up.We cut mounting brackets off donor,trimed down f to r. Tacked in place.Arms on end of bar went in factory holes on frame.Bar faces to front ,over gear carrier.My wagon handles GREAT NOW.We also changed to 4;11 equel-lock,AOD keep rpm down.

hrsky

Do you have pictures of this installasion.  Thanks HR.

bagboy

Not yet,will get car on rack and take some.

DanTudor57

Intrigued... Please provide more details. I would like to see some pictures.

I'm pretty sure the Station wagon and the custom line use the same frame -- anyone?

bagboy

Tryed to take pic. ,camera would not flash.It is simple; 2002 chev. sub. rear bar goes with arch foward over third member.Mounts are cut off donor then trimed about !/2,leaving mounting hole for bushings.Arms off end of swaybar go to holes in frame arch.Postion everthing and weld bushing mounts to axle.Slight adjust of brake lines to clear.You are done.Hour to do all.My wagon goes aroud corners like my 94 c vic-flat as a fritter.

wolfpupsdad

< flat as a fritter > :burnout: thats preety flat bagboy,lol. glad it worked out for ya. gotta do something with mine in time , great idea and thanks for sharing with us, bill

DanTudor57

2002 suburban... should be the  same as... 00-07 TAHOE/SUBURBAN/YUKON... I'll have to go dig one of these up from one of the local bag'n'drop shops scrap pile.

bagboy

Just to update my wagon,with new sway bar. Took my uncle on a short ride out to my home. AS we were heading out of town I told him about the handling changest  WE have done .There is a hard uphill r. turn ,I went into corner 35-40 , rear end broke loose as I punched  the 351w ,slid about 3ft and came back. When I turned to look- his eyes were like dinner plates. He was impressed!

DanTudor57

Hey bagboy -- still around? It's been a long time. Maybe you have a better camera now?

jvo

Sure hope this is the right one, cause I just bought one for 29 bucks on ebay, brand new, and they have 10 more, if anyone is looking for one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251450194765?item=251450194765&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

RICH MUISE

Let us know what you got when you get it. I'm curious about the dia of the bar.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jvo

Okay, I will.  Just collecting parts right now so I can blast the frame and paint it, then put it together with all the new suspension pieces.  Have to do that fairly quickly, cause the body will have to roll outside in the snow while I do it.  I have most of the body mounts built and welded in place, then soon after that it will go to the blaster to get cleaned up. That's when I will do the frame and suspension pieces.  Hopefully in a few weeks.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

jvo

Okay, I went to the border today and picked up a whole bunch of "stuff" to keep me moving ahead.  I got the sway bar mentioned above, and the diameter turns out to be 1 1/16".  It might be a little stout for the back end, but I'm going to mount it up anyway to see how it works for me.  Bagboy says it works fine, and I guess we'll see.  It will be a long long time before I can report back on that, though, as there is a lot of work to be done first.  I'll mount it up to the chassis while its easy to do, before the body goes back on, but I won't be driving this thing any time soon.  We'll see when the time comes. 

Raven Rider

I would sure like to see a picture of the parts and the installed product.

SkylinerRon

Caution-rear bars that large can cause some wierd handling on cars under 5500lbs!
If i remember the rear bar should only be about 60% of size of the front.
Goodluck,
Ron.