News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new Del Rio project

Started by billd5string, 2015-11-02 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

billd5string

So I have bought my first 57 Ford. I've got a lot of experience with hot rod projects, mostly GM cars and trucks from the 60's and early 70's. My current project is a 67 Cougar, which will be winding down over the next months. I heard about this car that was in a neighbors backyard, posted about it here for advice, and then bought it.

So now I have a bit more information about it. It is not a survivor car, like it initially looked like. The previous owner spent a lot of money on restoring it over the 42 years he owned it, the last big spend occurring in 87 and 88. The car was parked in 93 with the body done, and fairly new paint, but the interior was worn out and based on documentation that came with the car, the engine and trans are worn out as well.

I'm a hot-rodder, all the way - but personally to me, the idea of messing with an original stock car that is nearly 60 years old and all original... that idea makes me sick. So my plan was to carefully restore it (a project style I haven't done before). But now, I know the motor may not be able to come back without a full rebuild, and the transmission may be in the same state. According to a letter from a restoration shop in 87, they both were just plain worn out. There isn't any receipts or other docs in the file to indicate that either was replaced or rebuilt - and the letter says the motor was already bored 60 over from some previous rebuild.

The body appears real solid, the floorboards appear in great condition (no carpet there to cover anything up). Only the hood appears to have some rust issues under the paint, and the front bumper is a rusty mess.

I found some new hubcaps all wrapped up in the back, I don't know if they are NOS or reproductions or what. They are the same as the ones that were on the car which looked like they could be polished up anyway. But I have to admit - when I bolted on the tires from my Cougar to get it home, those white letter tires and the torq-thrust wheels look REALLY good to me.

So what is the general consensus about how much more is a restored car worth than a resto-mod style? Generally, I prefer a car that looks pretty stock except for some after market wheels and tires, preferably 15 inch wheels. looks mostly stock in the interior, maybe some gauges and a stereo, but under the hood has a hot motor and has been upgraded to disc brakes, power steering, AC, etc.. I prefer a car that drives great, stops great, handles great, but looks like it may have back in '65 or so.

So is doing that king of a build going to make the car worth much less than doing a full restoration? I fear that if I get into rebuilding that motor and trans I will have too much invested in the car, and will have a car I personally don't enjoy driving that much because it's so original. I would rather sell the car to someone that loves them that way and wants it to be restored if that is a better future for the car.

Decisions, decisions, what do you guys think?
Bill

1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

billd5string

Here are some more pictures of the car.
Some are from before I got it home.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

And a couple more...
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

lalessi1

The most expensive '57 (Custom 300 Tudor) I have knowledge of was an Amos Minter mild resto-mod sold at Mecum for $75K. maybe 2-3 years ago. It had a 428 CJ and a toploader, stock exterior and interior with other updates. To me it is a matter of taste but I don't think a pure restoration is necessarily the financially wise way to go unless the car has a special history....
Lynn

junior58

At the end of the day the car is yours so it is your choice as to what you do with it. As long as you don't butcher it, and you retain the integrity of the car, it can be put back to stock at any time. It is reasonably easy to upgrade running gear, steering, suspension and brakes and still be able to return it to stock if so desired. There is a mountain of information on this forum, and plenty of people willing to share advice whichever way you decide to go.
It would be an interesting exercise to see if you can get the motor fired up and see what it does run like though.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

billd5string

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-11-02 17:04
To me it is a matter of taste but I don't think a pure restoration is necessarily the financially wise way to go unless the car has a special history....

That makes sense to me, and there isn't something special about this car's history, it is just a cool old car.

Quote from: junior58 on 2015-11-02 18:49
It would be an interesting exercise to see if you can get the motor fired up and see what it does run like though.

Absolutely. No matter what I ultimately do, I am going to start with trying to get that 312 running. If it runs even marginally well, that will give me time to work on other parts of the car. I would love to get the brakes, electrical and interior sorted before doing a drivetrain swap. Besides, I am just finishing up putting a new crate motor and trans into my Cougar - just talking about spending all that money on another car would not make for a happy wife. I am still amazed she didn't freak out when I told her I wanted to buy another project car. She told me later than she knew I would buy it after I initially told her what I'd found, even though the car wasn't actually for sale. She knows me better than I know me :003: :003: :003:
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

RICH MUISE

I totally agree with Lynn and Steve. I think in the end you've got to do what makes you happy. We've got a very eclectic group of guys here, so you're gonna get some varying opinions on what they would do if it were theirs, but I think just about everybody will tell you not to be concerned with it ending up non-stock if that's what you want. I think it would be a major mistake on your part to build it as a full restoration if that's not your thing...but you already said that.
Money wise...trying to reatore a mid-fifties Ford is not like restoring a mid fifties Chevy...not by a LONG shot. The stuff you need for a full restoration would have to be aquired the hard and expensive way, not thru reasonably priced reproduction parts. Unfortunatly, Fords are not supported like the tri five Chevys. The ocational oem/nos parts you see on Ebay are often crazy priced.
In a nutshell, a factory restoration is incredibly expensive, and most of the high dollar cars I've seen are in fact resto-mods, not restorations. Of course, that is exclusive of the rare e and f code cars of any model. If yours were E or f code, you'd be nuts to do anything but a full restoration. jmho.
PLEASE...no ratrod!!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

Everybody seems to be pretty much on the same page in that, when its all said and done your the one that has look at it and be able to say "yep, that is exactly what i was looking for." Getting opinions is great, I got some helpful ones today, but build it for yourself and you won't be sorry.

RICH MUISE

btw, just those wheels made a huge difference!

billd5string

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-11-02 20:55
btw, just those wheels made a huge difference!

Yeah - I love those wheels on there. It's going to bug me when I pull them off to put them back on the other car.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

I got the interior cleaned out. The floorboards actually looked pretty good, except there is a patch on the drivers side. I haven't climbed under the car to see what is under the patch yet.

I haven't been able to open the tailgate yet. I think there is something jammed underneath that is stopping it from opening, so I am going to try pull the floorboards to see if there is something jammed in there.

1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

RICH MUISE

That patch is covering the infamous, most common rust area on '57 Fords. It is caused by a poorly engineered cowl drain, which is made from rubber. At the ends of the cowl, inside, next to the side panels are two metal drain tubes that stop an inch from actually exiting outside the side panels. Ford used a rubber flanged tube to complete the routing to the outside. Works great as long as the rubber is good, but typical of old rubber, they decay and then end up dumping any water that enters the cowl vent right into the inside cabin.
In that second pic, is that water on the floor from washing the car? if it is, that's exactly what I was talking about.
I'm not sure if anybody has figured out a way to replace those rubber tubes without removing the fender.!?

lalessi1

I did manage to change mine without pulling the fenders....barely. I used the braille method.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

I did the 57 Ranchwagon without pulling the fenders.  Getting the old ring out wasn't too bad, getting the first screw to line up and start was the "king of patience" test!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

Wow, good to see this wagon in posession of a forum member now! I hear some doubts in your questions and a Del Rio should not really be a car, that you think about money wise too much. It is very special and BEAUTIFUL, and a terrific car to cruise, drive and have in daily use. It will get looks everywhere and at the same time will haul more stuff than a short bed truck. it easily sleeps 2, when you take it for long distance shows. it's simply a blast. well. that much said it is still wise for you to think about your financial possibilities, and a lot of engine swaps can be done to a 57 without ever hurting any of the og panels. it will cost much less and not hurt the resale value in comparison to the og drivetrain, because most everybody likes a reasonably priced, driving car better than a high dollar og resto, that might still have its short comings ( bored too much over, overheating, cracks...). My opinion is that you go the 'leave the paint, put in some hot motor, springs and wheels' route on your car, since I feel it is not going to stay with you forever. let the next owner decide whether he wants to restore it back to it's full glory. that said, I wouldn't sell off the og drivetrain for just the few hundred bucks you will get for it. keep it, because the next owner will be happy to drive your resto mod car and at the same time rebuild the og numbers matching drivetrain to put back in there. Enjoy your project as much as you can, and remember, a Del Rio makes ONE FANTASTIC Ride to own !