News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new Del Rio project

Started by billd5string, 2015-11-02 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

And not only a Del Rio, but a project Del Rio that is in SOOOO much better shape than most. Those floorboards look pretty awesome from what we can see in the pics....irregardless of the one patch.
I've never worked on an old wagon, but on that tailgate issue, I'd try to get the inner panels off so you can maybe see if the old latch is actually releasing.
I think no mater which way you go, based on comments you've made, you're gonna do that car justice.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

The tailgate hinges quite often get corroded from not being moved in a long time.  Give them a squirt or two of penetrating oil.  Also as Rich has suggested check the latch linkage for free movement and give it a squirt also.

djfordmanjack

what's stuck, the lift or tailgate or both ? the locking mechanism is quite complex and there are some couplings that connect the actual handle to the outboard latches. these can come off easily. yes hinges get frozen easily too.
there are two latches on top of the lower gate, that hold the liftgate closed and two cogwheel latches with strikers on the sides of the lower tailgate.
it is best to unscrew the inner tailgate panel and you will get good access to all the locks and latches and you will be able to unlock them from inside.

billd5string

I have the window open, but I won't close it because the upper latch on the passenger side isn't releasing at all. I am hoping I can see in there to get that all sorted out once the tailgate is open.

The tailgate isn't latched, it will move about 2 inches and then feels like it is pushing against something at the bottom, which is why I am wondering if there is an area inside that the tailgate moves through that now has something fallen in there.

The back has a bunch if parts in there that were meticulously labeled and in seperate plastic bage - unfortunately each bag was mostly disintegrated. The metal trim for around the windshield was back there, all wrapped in newspaper. The newspaper was dated Feb of 88 - which is a month after my son who was helping me clean it out was born.

So, is there a channel that the lower part of the tailgate moves into as the tailgate opens? Or is there some secondary latch that engages after the tailgate is open a couple inches?

Oh! And what is with the extra lines going to the fuel pump?? We were looking over the engine and I noticed the extra hard lines going to the top of the fuel pump. I will go try to get some pics to show what I am seeing.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

BWhitmore

Extra lines on fuel pump are for the vacuum operated windshield wipers.

billd5string

Here is the tailgate. The second pic shows the upper latch is released, is there another latch mechanism?
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2015-11-08 16:29
Extra lines on fuel pump are for the vacuum operated windshield wipers.

Ah! So that is what this thing is then. I assumed it must be windshield wipers but I hadn't seen one that is vacuum operated before. I sure hope it isn't a crazy cable mess under the dash like a 55 chevy has.

Thanks for clearing that up!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

RICH MUISE

Nope, no crazy cable mess under the dash............................it's inside the cowl, lol.

billd5string

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-11-08 16:43
Nope, no crazy cable mess under the dash............................it's inside the cowl, lol.

Oh that's funny! Since it is vacuum operated, what do people do when they swap in another engine? Is there an electric motor that can be swapped in or something?
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

RICH MUISE

Engine swap or no, it's good to change to an electric wiper if you plan on it being driven often. There are several ways to go with that, perhaps the easiest is an aftermarket Newport wiper which bolts up to the oem wiper motor bracket on the cowl. Lots of threads and info to be found here when you get to that point. The cable and pulley system inside the cowl is actually more reliable than one would think, and most have not had to do anything to it except some maintenance. Removing the cowl vent grille will get you right to it for a look to see if it's intact.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-11-08 20:21
Engine swap or no, it's good to change to an electric wiper if you plan on it being driven often. There are several ways to go with that, perhaps the easiest is an aftermarket Newport wiper which bolts up to the oem wiper motor bracket on the cowl. Lots of threads and info to be found here when you get to that point. The cable and pulley system inside the cowl is actually more reliable than one would think, and most have not had to do anything to it except some maintenance. Removing the cowl vent grille will get you right to it for a look to see if it's intact.

55 - 57 Chevy electric wiper motors bolt in and use the stock 57 Ford actuating cable from the dash.  You can access the pulley system (the back side of the plate on the fire wall) from under the dash by removing the drivers side fresh air vent.

Your stuck tail gate is rusty hinges.  Go slowly and work it back and forth with plenty of rust buster every day until it will move freely.  Be careful not to force it as the tail gate mounts will fold up like tissue!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

there are also folding metal straps to each side, which will hold the gate when in down position. they could be hooked into the bottom rubber or seized too. if one of the lift gate latches doesn't release then you got trouble with one of those couplers inside the gate I mentioned before. most probably then only one tailgate latch will fully release.you will have to work on all those latches most probably, because they are getting delicate when worn out from age, especially the liftgate strikers. the are often getting worn to the point where the gates will rattle and squeek a lot.
the tailgate swings down into the recess that is visible just above the gravel pan/bumper. there could be stuff in there by wasps, mice or plain sand. it's behind where you can see the lower tailgate rubber seal.
looking forward to your progress on the car and which direction you will take it.

junior58

I used the Newport electric wiper conversion on my Fairlane. Easy conversion, works perfectly.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Limey57

The hinges on my Ranchero (same tailgate set-up) were seized solid, eventually heat freed them off.  Seeing as you've opened it a bit, is there room to get one of those small kitchen gas torches down there to get some heat into the hinge pin?  OK it won't be as effective as oxy-acetylene but it might help.

Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

From time to time the tailgate striker plates pop up on eBay.  Repops are also available.  The striker plates for the upper lift window are rarely available as new...I have not seen repops.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-58-Ford-And-Mercury-Wagon-NOS-Tailgate-Striker-Plate-N-O-S-/181917135443?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ai%252B05LtP92Bl78TnMo2G2xfMx5g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc