News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new Del Rio project

Started by billd5string, 2015-11-02 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

billd5string

Quote from: Limey57 on 2015-11-09 16:33
The hinges on my Ranchero (same tailgate set-up) were seized solid, eventually heat freed them off.  Seeing as you've opened it a bit, is there room to get one of those small kitchen gas torches down there to get some heat into the hinge pin?  OK it won't be as effective as oxy-acetylene but it might help.

That's an interesting idea to heat them up. I was out there spraying penetrating oil on everything on the tailgate I can get access to, but I couldn't see the actual hinges at all. Are they under the tailgate thus blocked from being visible by the seals? Or are they on the side of the tailgate like a pickup truck's hinge?  I have been assuming they were on the sides.

1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

BWhitmore

The hinges are on the bottom of the tail gate.  They are about 3-4 inches wide and made of cast iron.  If I remember correctly you may be able to spray penetrating oil on the hinges from underneath the car.  The tail gate holders are on each side of the tail gate.  The tail gate holders may need some penetrating oil also.  It appears that your tail gate is partially open so you may be able to spray the holders as the tail gate opens further.

djfordmanjack

applying heat will burn the paint. the hinges are on the bottom of the gate aproxx. 8inches inside from each end. simply get into the car and spray your penetrating oil into the slot between the bottom of the tailgate and the spare wheel compartment cover. point straight to the back and the oil will run down to the hinges.

Limey57

OK, I just had a look at my Ranchero and you'd need to open the tailgate a lot more than you have to get heat directed at the pin only.  If the constant dosing with penetrating fluid doesn't work, is it possible to remove the rear floor?  The bolts on the rear edge will be a challenge as they're under the tailgate (see photo below) but if the tailgate is open a bit you MIGHT be able to get a spanner on them:

With the floor removed you can then access the hinge mounting bolts (they are just under the rear edge of the floor) and remove the tailgate complete to get access to the hinges properly.  The photo below shows the hinge location:

As has been said, be real careful forcing anything or it will twist the tailgate good & proper!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

billd5string

Thanks for the pics - that makes it much easier to see. I'll try to use penetrating oil tonight.

The good news, even if it takes two weeks of oiling and lightly working it, I'm fine with that, I've got the time and patience.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

djfordmanjack

patience pays off ! Gary, the wagons don't have solid cargo floor tin as a Ranchero would. the wgn has a hinged lid over the spare wheel tray. I am sure when Bill removes the 7 Philips head screws he would be able to get out the cover and get access to the hinge bolts (worst case scenario).
Gary's pics show, where the hinges have little notches for lubrication.

billd5string

I got the floorboard/spare tire cover unscrewed (those screws really did NOT want to come out). I will spray the penetrating oil in the area behind those bolts every day for awhile to give it time to work.

I was happy to see there was a jack and spare tire in there.

Oh - when the back seat folds down, is it supposed to lay down flat? Mine didn't lay flat at all before I pulled it out, but I am not sure if that is because it never layed flat or if it is because of the upholstery not being right. 
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

djfordmanjack

the actual back seat base first folds forward and has a metal stand underneath which swings forward and sits on the floorboards. only then the seat back comes down and goes into the place where the seat was . both parts of the seats have steel backs covered with linoleum. you will get approx 9x4.5 feet of flat cargo area. try to find that in ANY modern SUV or wagon.

billd5string

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-11-11 02:28
the actual back seat base first folds forward and has a metal stand underneath which swings forward and sits on the floorboards. only then the seat back comes down and goes into the place where the seat was . both parts of the seats have steel backs covered with linoleum. you will get approx 9x4.5 feet of flat cargo area. try to find that in ANY modern SUV or wagon.

Very cool! I took it out and put it immediately into storage so it wouldn't get messed up - I didn't even notice the base seat can fold forward. It looked in pretty good condition except very dirty and one rip on the seat base.

Thanks for the info!!!
Bill
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

I got it open. It's still really stiff, but movable. I will keep working it and hopefully it will loosen up more.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

rmk57

Boy that things in nice shape!

Your a lucky guy.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

Congrats on getting the taigate open! Your car is an incredible survivor.
Lynn

billd5string

Quote from: rmk57 on 2015-11-15 20:20
Boy that things in nice shape!

Your a lucky guy.

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-11-16 09:51
Congrats on getting the tailgate open! Your car is an incredible survivor.

Thanks guys! I think it's probably the most solid foundation for a project that I've ever had, which is ironic since it is also the oldest car I've ever owned.

I guess next I better get serious about seeing if that 312 will start. I am thinking I will spray some oil into the cylinders through the spark plug holes over the course of a few days, then try to turn the motor by hand to see if it's frozen up. Then if all looks good, I will bolt on a different 4160 carb that I know is good, and run a fuel line into a gas can for the starting test.

Which reminds me, would this have come with a Holley 4160 from the factory? That's what's on there now, there was even a generic rebuild kit in the interior when I bought it. The fuel line going to the carb is metal, so it looks like a factory setup but I was under the impression the 4160 came out in the early 60's.

1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

Limey57

Excellent news on the tailgate, I'd take the hinges off and soak them in diesel.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

junior58

The 312 in my Victoria was frozen after sitting for 35 years. Used a mix of auto trans fluid and penetrating oil (like WD40) down the spark plug holes and kept trying to turn it by hand over the course of a couple of weeks, eventually broke it free. Turned it over plenty of times by hand until it felt like it was turning freely, then drained all the gunk out of the sump, put some fresh oil and a filter on it, fresh gas and fired it up. Other than going through all the rocker gear and cleaning it all up, 7 years later it's still in there and performing like a trooper, doesn't blow any smoke and uses minimal oil. I see no need to tear it down. I hope you are as lucky as I was.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter